Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet Z2100 Photo 24-in

Okay. Need to pick some brains.

Customer E-Mailed service call for a Z2100 posting an 02.1:10 code. I already knew this area (Jessup, MD area if anyone is familiar) experienced a power outage.

6/26:
    Replaced the Carriage PCA which brought the carriage back to life. Plotter continually rejected the LM/LC, PK/LG and MK/C printheads and errored with a 58:11 when performing the Carriage Assembly diagnostic (during the Color Sensor part). I figured, at this point, the power surge also fried the carriage. Service Station diag passed which led me to believe the Electronics were working.

6/28:
    Replaced the carriage assembly. Still continually rejecting above heads. Played around with different heads the customer had. Determined TWO MK/C printheads were faulty (one of them took out LM/LC & PK/LG, the other just said itself was faulty), Scan Axis diag passed, Cutter diag failed with 79:04, Carriage Assembly still failed at the Color Sensor stage with a 58:11, Sensors diag passed, haven't done the Line Sensor Calibration, I did reset the carriage life counter. I upgraded the firmware to version 12. Electronics Module/PSU/Formatter diag passed.

Here's where I'm hazy. At the Color Sensor (Color Spectrometer) diag during the Carriage Assembly diagnostic, it asks to enable ESP. I let it. What does this do? How does this work?

At this point, I've told them they need to order new heads. That, unless the plotter will even ACCEPT a head, my hands are tied.

Any input on the 58:11 is GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks to all!!

Here's the expanded 58:11 error information:
    FAIL DeltaE out of limits.
    92.000 > 8

Lance

Re: Designjet Z2100 Photo 24-in

So.. my thoughts:

Based on the service manual, the 58:xx error has to do with the color sensor (ESP). You said you replaced the carriage assembly; did this include a new color sensor? If not, I would suspect the color sensor being bad.

Your original error of 02.1:10 suggests a positioning problem with the carriage, caused by a bad encoder strip or encoder sensor, or carriage/carriage PCA. If you replaced the whole carriage and got past it, OK. But.. the 58:xx error could have to do with the shutter not being opened on the color sensor.. which, could be a carriage position issue. So when you do the color sensor test, make sure you can observe it opening the shutter on the color sensor. If it's not, there's your problem. I doubt a power outage would damage the encoder strip but take it out and inspect it closely. Also make sure that black stopper is in place just behind the carriage rail on the right end.. and make sure something isn't between it and the carriage; things can fall into that groove and throw the home position off.

That prompt to 'enable SOL' when you test the color sensor is just asking if you want to test it.. nothing more. You get the same prompt during the carriage assembly test. Also make sure when testing that you don't have excessive light coming into the printer while it's open, this can throw off the test. And I think the test needs to be done on glossy paper; I know the calibration does. If the paper has the wrong whiteness the test and calibration will fail.

And that's all I can think of.

Kiran

Oh and the fact the cutter test fails could be another indication that the carriage position is off.

Kiran

Thanks Kiran. I examined that encoder closely when I had it out. I should have just given it a wipe down, but didn't. The PWM test should have clued me in also. It was telling me the position wasn't reading "correct". At this point during this repair, I was already not thinking totally straight. Having had to tear down this thing down and being in a prison to boot! Keeping watch over the few tools I had sitting out on a table..........

I'll eventually be going back at some point, so, I'll check those things you mentioned and post back.

Thanks again!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

These could all be due to that little spacer on top of the carriage, couldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    These could all be due to that little spacer on top of the carriage, couldn't they?
    It could be, and I considered that but Lance sounds like he knows what he's doing. I assumed he's aware of that bushing and the care needed to keep from breaking it when installing the carriage. Lance?

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I figured that as well, but thought I'd mention it because all rational thought is absent when you're frustrated and working in a prison. LOL.

WELL aware of that. Was replacing the belt on a T or Z once (to long ago now) and broke that spacer! Grrrrrrr.

Have been very careful since then when putting the carriage back on the rod.

I now have a spare one. They come two in a box.

Just a final thought on this.......

Hadn't heard from the customer about the printhead so I asked. Was told they put the new head in and everything has been working wonderfully. I was still bothered by that color sensor failing. Went back yesterday (didn't bring any tools in with me) and cleaned the encoder strip. It wasn't to bad. The color sensor still failed. Same error & message.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse here. If they are satisfied with the output, that's good by me. They also mentioned that it's quieter (new carriage/bushings). I'm going to leave it as is.

I still feel that I'm not doing my due diligence, though. I also am not sure if this failing test REALLY means anything. They are extremely happy with the output.

I wonder if it would successfully do a color calibration.

Kiran