Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    IgotaVW

HP Designjet 500 "printer maintenance advised" what do I do?

I got an error code twice on my HP Designjet 500 "error code 78:04". I powered down the printer then powered it back up. It came back with the same code. I did this one more time and the "printer maintenance advised" came up on the screen. What do i do? I need this machine desperately and am definitely NOT a computer guy. I know just enough to be dangerous. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: HP Designjet 500 "printer maintenance advised" what do I do?

Are you sure about that error? Was it possibly 79:04? That's a generic firmware error, meaning 'something went wrong but I don't know what'. It can be caused by sending the printer a corrupt print job, or if you're using a network connection, the card could have hiccuped, or may even be bad.

The 'maintenance advised' means that a part in your printer has reached the specified number of uses/passes, such as the service station, cutter, carriage, etc. It's not usually critical; just a notice that a part or parts are getting close to needing replacement.

I guess my best suggestion would be to get someone familiar with the 500 and have them take a look at it.

Kiran

By the way, you can view the printer information through the front panel, and see what the various usage percentages are. Unfortunately it's not always telling as to which is in need of replacement. A cutter with 160% usage may work just fine. A service station with 200% usage may be about ready to spill ink all over the place. My point being you can't really judge these things purely by their usage; you need to inspect them.

Generally however.. you can ignore the message and keep printing.. and just deal with a failure when it happens, which is what most people do.

Kiran

IgotaVW

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    By the way, you can view the printer information through the front panel, and see what the various usage percentages are. Unfortunately it's not always telling as to which is in need of replacement. A cutter with 160% usage may work just fine. A service station with 200% usage may be about ready to spill ink all over the place. My point being you can't really judge these things purely by their usage; you need to inspect them.

Generally however.. you can ignore the message and keep printing.. and just deal with a failure when it happens, which is what most people do.

Kiran
    Thank you, but I can't find where it says any specified usages? It did however, just start working again, so that's a good thing. Does anyone know how to find where the usage reports are? And how to get to them?

In the Setup menu, there's an option for Printer Information. Choose View.. and then scroll down past the ink usage.

Kiran

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IgotaVW View Post
    Thank you, but I can't find where it says any specified usages? It did however, just start working again, so that's a good thing. Does anyone know how to find where the usage reports are? And how to get to them?
    just an FYI... DJ 500 parts are getting harder to find... if you want to keep this puppy running... you might want to squirrel away a carriage motor - carriage assy - cutter - belt and trailing cable now.

I agree with Phill B.

DR