Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

HP designjet 4020ps, no ink in tubes.

I received a call through a second party. A tech from another company had already been there and said parts were not available. I went to give an estimate not knowing another tech had been there or what had been done. When I booted it it comes up, gets the carriage in position and ask for set up printheads. I found this odd, looked and could tell that the tubes going to the carriage were void of ink, but were not a new set of tubes. I removed the end cover and it was the same. The tubes were mostly void of ink. you could tell the tubes were not new. There was a bubble of ink in a few spots. I can find no traces of a leak. I have never seen this before. Would a vacuum leak cause the ink in the tubes to be used up while not pumping more. The part that the other tech had issue finding was apparently the set up heads. I can only find them on e-bay. The customer is no help in telling me what happened. The work order came with a $1000 limit. Wondering if it is worth the time.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP designjet 4020ps, no ink in tubes.

The short answer is that it's not worth your time. These machines can be money pits, as you know. Especially when it's difficult to locate parts.

No matter how it goes, the customer will be unhappy with you. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I have a feeling what happened was that someone replaced the ink tubes (using refurbs) and didn't know what to do next, when the machine asked for set-up printheads. There's a way to get around the setup printheads, if I remember right. Do that, and get ink into the tubes via syringe. And then see what happens.

But Blackcat is right. $1000 isn't much for these things. For instance, if it needs all new printheads, you've already doubled $1000.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You can get a proper syringe from LPS Computer.

Designjet Store

If they bought the tube assembly new, it would have come with the setup printheads. If they bought it refurbished from LPS, it would have come with a syringe. It's likely new since the printer is instructing to insert the setup printheads.

If it was refurbished, but the tech started the prime tubes procedure, this is a bad move if you don't have the setup printheads.

The problem you'll have is getting past the printer insisting on installing the setup printheads, even if you use a syringe to suck the air out of the tubes. The way around this would be to swap the PCA on the tube assemblies. Or try to find a Q1273-60111 which are the 4 setup printheads.

Kiran

I spoke to the customer again to try and get more info. The tech that showed up before I did, apparently did not make a repair. He also found the machine calling for printheads and could not get them without using e-bay, and then closed the call. My POC said that no other repair was done before this. The tubes are certainly used and if what the POC says is correct they are original to the machine. That would be the confusing thing for me. Trying to grasp what happened to the ink.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Another thing that stands out as different. When I look up supplies or set up heads, it is showing 4 printheads, however this one has 8. I am sure of the model number off the front. I got in a hurry and did not write the product code down. Are there any 4020ps plotters with 8 heads or does this machine have the wrong cover on it.

There are only 4 setup printheads. They go in slots 1, 3, 5, 7 if I remember correctly.

Lexjet carries all the inks and printheads.

If the tubes were not replaced, and they're full of air.... I would replace the tube assembly before anything else. If the seals are shot, and the printer pressurizes the tubes, you could have a massive mess on your hands.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I'd bet my right arm they're not telling you everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    There are only 4 setup printheads. They go in slots 1, 3, 5, 7 if I remember correctly.

Lexjet carries all the inks and printheads.

If the tubes were not replaced, and they're full of air.... I would replace the tube assembly before anything else. If the seals are shot, and the printer pressurizes the tubes, you could have a massive mess on your hands.

Kiran

What about the pump? Would a bad pump cause this?

Not that I've ever experienced, no.

Kiran