Technician

CLJ CP4525 won't finish booting with new formatter

With new [refurb] formatter unit will not complete boot. Hangs at [6/6 A/F]
    Has HP wireless print server and internal thumb drive installed. If I put the old formatter back in it works fine. The obvious conclusion is the replacement formatter is defective, but it's from a reliable vendor. So i want to make sure i haven't missed something before contacting the vendor.
    TIA

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts 20 year tech's Avatar

Re: CLJ CP4525 won't finish booting with new formatter

just curious if it works fine with old formatter why are you changing it

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Sometimes when you put it a new formatter, you have to update firmware. I would take off all attachments, put new formatter in, see if there's a way to upgrade firmware from preboot, finish all that, then add attachments one at a time (turning off and booting up between each attachment).

With most of the newer machines, you have to "lock" the hard drive and formatter. You have to tell the machine that you're replacing the formatter, so that it synchronizes the information stored in the machine somewhere (I don't know where--maybe in the DC controller or power supply) with the formatter.

I think the last time I did this on a CP4525 I had to format the hard drive, upgrade firmware, lock the hard drive, and then do it 4 more times before I finally got everything to work.

Technician

Thanks for all the replies
    The prior service company was dealing with the 59.F0 issue and "couldn't resolve it" so they told the customer they needed to replace the formatter to get everything reset in the machine. Our company took over service recently and they called and ordered a formatter. I came into the picture after the fact, so I was unclear at first why I was there to replace the formatter. I told the customer that the formatter really desn't have anything to do with the 59.F0 error. I didn't want to deride the other service company but I think they were guessing and throwing parts at it. I recommended to the customer that we start with cleaning the ITB flag sensor and then replacing the ITB if the error comes back.

I recall that in upgrading the F/W on HP's you have to remove all peripherals first. This unit has the 4525 on a full paper deck, so maybe that was the issue in the machine not booting up with the new formatter. But at this point the formatter replacement is on the back burner for now

DT

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    CLJ CP4525 won't finish booting with new formatter

Quote Originally Posted by deserttech99 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies
    The prior service company was dealing with the 59.F0 issue and "couldn't resolve it" so they told the customer they needed to replace the formatter to get everything reset in the machine. Our company took over service recently and they called and ordered a formatter. I came into the picture after the fact, so I was unclear at first why I was there to replace the formatter. I told the customer that the formatter really desn't have anything to do with the 59.F0 error. I didn't want to deride the other service company but I think they were guessing and throwing parts at it. I recommended to the customer that we start with cleaning the ITB flag sensor and then replacing the ITB if the error comes back.

I recall that in upgrading the F/W on HP's you have to remove all peripherals first. This unit has the 4525 on a full paper deck, so maybe that was the issue in the machine not booting up with the new formatter. But at this point the formatter replacement is on the back burner for now

DT
    Like theengle said... remove all options... then try loading firmware.. add each option once firmware is added reboot with each new option.

Yeah, but if you've got that error, you're looking at a fuser drive assembly. Not a fun job. Carve out at least 3 hours if you're a virgin.