Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

Re: Hp color laserjet 5550n, multi color horizontal lines on 11 x 17 ...

Most Likely Causes (99% of the time)

Option 1) bad toner cartridges
    Option 2) HVPS

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    In my 20 years of servicing printers, I've seen an awful lot of strange things. I STILL see things that make me scratch my head for a few moments. And yes, I have seen this exact issue time and time again.

The Disable Cartridge Check can also be used to determine if the toner is to blame.

To check if a cartridge is bad, you can enter Disable Cartridge Check. This allows you to switch the cartridges around. Then you can print test pages out of the menu and if the colors giving you issues stay the same, you know it's a bad cartridge.

To enter Disable Cartridge Check mode do the following:
    Press MENU or (Select) to enter the MENUS .
    Press (Down arrow) to highlight DIAGNOSTICS .
    Press (Select) to select DIAGNOSTICS
    Press (Down arrow) to highlight DISABLE CARTRIDGE CHECK .
    Press (Select) to select DISABLE CARTRIDGE CHECK .
    Verify that the control panel reads READY DIAGNOSTICS MODE .

Yep... after 34 years, I too have been on this road since it was gravel... back in the days of the first canon CX engines and liquid Savins.

I already tried the "disable cartridge" testing before I even posted the issue here. I'm now considering the HVPS or formatter. When I get back in front the machine I'll do a few formatter tests to confirm.. Problem is, after the TBU, the client does not want to dump much more $$ into this 2004 model so I'll need to devote a little "free" time to their cause.

My thanks to everyone that replies.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

If it does it on an engine test, I doubt it's the formatter. I've seen moisture cause similar problems, but not this exact problem. Yeah, my first guess would be HVPS.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Actually... some kind of short could cause this problem. A bad cyan could cause problems with the magenta. I've never seen it, but I wouldn't dismiss it. But if you have all new OEM, then that's not very likely.

Technician

So... swapped ctgs AGAIN...still no joy.

With random colors and lines NOT showing up on engine test, issue ended up being a bad formatter AND a bad "brand new" TBU that would not calibrate, even after multiple steps and update to firmware per HP. ( supposedly common involving firmware and TBU calibration issues. )

Anyway, this is the last CLJ 5550 we have in the field.

Thanks to all replies.

Looking at he samples in the PO I would say that it is an issue with the HVPS or something in the ground of the device. the PQ issue is not in the process direction.

I would do one test first. pull the formatter and then put tape over the laser shutter of all colors in the same area. power on the device with the formatter out and do an engine test.

you should get the engine test lines with voids where the tape is blocking the laser. if you still get the PQ artifact the issue isn't the formatter. The PQ artifact should be solid from edge to edge. this would indicate the HVPS. If the artifact does have the voids then you have an issue with your DC controller. this I have never seen. my money is on the HVPS.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcoupe View Post
    Looking at he samples in the PO I would say that it is an issue with the HVPS or something in the ground of the device. the PQ issue is not in the process direction.

I would do one test first. pull the formatter and then put tape over the laser shutter of all colors in the same area. power on the device with the formatter out and do an engine test.

you should get the engine test lines with voids where the tape is blocking the laser. if you still get the PQ artifact the issue isn't the formatter. The PQ artifact should be solid from edge to edge. this would indicate the HVPS. If the artifact does have the voids then you have an issue with your DC controller. this I have never seen. my money is on the HVPS.
    Solved, Per my previous post....problem fixed already.
    Bad formatter caused horiz lines, PLUS a bad ( brand new OEM Transfer Belt Unit ) was causing the color registration issues...would not calibrate until TBU was replaced a 2nd time.

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Hp color laserjet 5550n, multi color horizontal lines on 11 x 17 ...

did you check the cartridge locks on all toners both sides?

i have seen them do crazy things to the 5500/5550