Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

HP CLJ CM2320 won't feed

Whether you do an internal print or a test engine, the machine goes through a cycle, as shown in the video, but the feed motor never starts. I thought it was a feed/pickup motor (shown in the lower right hand corner) and I replaced that. Afterwards, I found that this motor does engage a couple of times at the start-up of the machine... so the motor itself works. But it won't feed.

I've had this problem with another machine, and I never did figure it out. On that one, I had replaced the DC controller.

The thing is, if it sits for a while, not being used, I can usually get one or two prints out of it. Then it does this. That makes me think there's a solenoid in there somewhere sticking... but I don't know where. Does anyone know, does this have a solenoid in the fuser drive... the way other color HP's do?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ CM2320 won't feed

Re: HP CLJ CM2320 won't feed

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    Whether you do an internal print or a test engine, the machine goes through a cycle, as shown in the video, but the feed motor never starts. I thought it was a feed/pickup motor (shown in the lower right hand corner) and I replaced that. Afterwards, I found that this motor does engage a couple of times at the start-up of the machine... so the motor itself works. But it won't feed.

I've had this problem with another machine, and I never did figure it out. On that one, I had replaced the DC controller.

The thing is, if it sits for a while, not being used, I can usually get one or two prints out of it. Then it does this. That makes me think there's a solenoid in there somewhere sticking... but I don't know where. Does anyone know, does this have a solenoid in the fuser drive... the way other color HP's do?

can you look int the tray from the back ..shafts turn? i don't have that manual..are there any EM clutches? shafts bound? gear sheared ?

wire harness?

You can't see much from the back. Well--you can see that the rollers don't turn. But you can see that from this side. Actually, I just take my finger and put it on the pickup motor. I can feel that the motor turns as the machine initializes when you turn it on. But when you try to print, the pickup motor never starts turning.

I'm thinking it's somewhere in the "main drive." The manual points this system out, but it has no part # for it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ CM2320 won't feed

They can be had from places who strip bad machines for parts.

Main drive assembly w. fuser drive assembly HP Color LaserJet CP2025 CM2320 series

Problem is, you're probably just buying something that will end up doing the same thing, if it's a solenoid in there. You'd still have to take it apart and find and repad the solenoid... if that's what's wrong. Because I doubt those places will do it themselves. That's a lot of tiny parts to deal with. And they no doubt have to be aligned before snapping it together.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ CM2320 won't feed

Yeah. No doubt. Probably why HP never intended for the main drive to be replaced. You'd never get it working once replaced.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

I had one that did some very strange jamming problems and it ended up being the Registration sensor Flag was hitting on a shaft. We shaved it down (instead of spending a few hours replacing the flag) that fixed it. Just something to check.

also Here's an article I read. I know it doesn't sound much like what you describe but...

"Paper Jam in Rear Door" Message | ENX Magazine | The Week in Imaging
    Izzy

You know, that kinda sucks because honestly, these aren't bad machines. They're kinda in the middle between high and low volume, and their ADF is a lot better than the M4xx ADF's that they're making.