Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

HP P4515 Formatter

Hi Guys,

We have a P4515 that is getting LONG in the tooth and should be replaced after a good 10+ years of use. So I've picked up a used replacement off ebay that is supposed to have only 38K prints.

Two questions:

1) Is there a lifetime counter somewhere that cannot be reset in the machine? I know you can change a lot in the service menu.

2) Is it possible to swap the Formatter between our old machine and the replacement so I don't have to setup the new printer on the network. I'm hoping that it's the Formatter that gives the network/machine ID/Serial/I.P./ etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HP P4515 Formatter

Re: HP P4515 Formatter

Quote Originally Posted by chadderuski View Post

Two questions:

1) Is there a lifetime counter somewhere that cannot be reset in the machine? I know you can change a lot in the service menu.

2) Is it possible to swap the Formatter between our old machine and the replacement so I don't have to setup the new printer on the network. I'm hoping that it's the Formatter that gives the network/machine ID/Serial/I.P./ etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    1) I think the page counter will revert to whatever count in on that board ( replacement )

2) that should work... just DO NOT swap formatter and DC Controller at the same time.

Technician

Okay. But I don't even know what the DC Controller is! :P

What is it and what happens if you do?

HP P4515 Formatter

Okay. But I don't even know what the DC Controller is! :P

What is it and what happens if you do?
    small BD middle of machine under the right cover.... bunch of wires going to it.. controls all DC power and some RAM storage ( info )

if you do.. you will have to re install firmware.. machine will be locked down. IF you do one at a time.. it will transfer the info to the other board... sync both together and you will be off n running well.

Technician

Thank you so much, that is really good to know!

Technician

Quick follow-up question!

I know you can reset the Maintenance counter and should when installing new fuser, etc.

But can the Engine Cycles counter be changed/modified/tampered with in any way?

We are on a tight budget here, so I generally pick up good used equipment off ebay.
    Just hoping these numbers can't be fiddled with.

Thanks!

HP P4515 Formatter

I know you can reset the Maintenance counter and should when installing new fuser, etc.

We are on a tight budget here, so I generally pick up good used equipment off ebay.

Thanks!
    no.. but when replacing the formatter I do believe the page count goes to zero... been a while.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks!
    No! You can't reset the engine cycles counter on this model.
    If you're planning on swapping out the formatter with you old machine, print out the configuration page with the page count and network settings.
    Just in case when you swap the formatter to the new printer there is a chance you might lose whatever information that was store in the formatter.
    I would configure the network setting on the new printer rather than swapping out the formatter. Easy task to do.
    Last edited by Printerdude; 02-16-2018 at 11:43 PM.

The P4515 has a fairly strong print engine. Other than being 10 years old I what makes you think you need to replace it. I have had these units at 2,000,000 pages and still going strong.

As far as switching the formatter... I would keep the newer unit intact and change the settings. Should only be network configuration and paper size/type. Should take no time at all and can all be done form you computer by logging into the Embedded Web Server (EWS)

if you want to reset or change the life/total count of the device you can do that from the service menu. the service PIN should be
    HP LaserJet P4014: 05401408
    HP LaserJet P4015
    : 05401508
    HP LaserJet P4515: 05451508

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

My mistake, the engine cycles count can be modified. But try this.

Print out the usage page from the Information menu, the usage page will have list of impression made. If you think the engine cycles count has been tampered,
    compare it to the usage page count ( the numbers will be close, but not exact ) and you should get an idea if the total page count has been tamper with.

You can change the engine cycles count, but not the usage page count.