Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Part number found; not in manual -- M402/M426

I recently had a machine (HP M426) where the actuator/sensor that registers that there's paper in Tray 2 got banged out of whack. The machine registered a jam, but there wasn't anything other than the actuator not swinging freely, but sticking in one position unless manually moved.

I called HP Support, and was told that the part likely didn't exist on its own (and therefore wouldn't be replaceable), but *might* be part of the paper pickup roller assembly. It wasn't...but after some creative thinking and internet searching, I found a picture of the part I needed. With a part number.

Tray 2 sensor assembly: RM2-5375-000CN

Took it apart down to bare bones, as though I was replacing the transfer assembly, but if I ever have to do it again I'll try just taking off the front and side covers--mainly need to get to the metal bar that goes across the front of the machine, take that off, and then we can access the sensor. With some finagling, it can be replaced.

Just a heads-up, in case anyone ever runs into something like this.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Part number found; not in manual -- M402/M426

Quote Originally Posted by techie0419 View Post
    I recently had a machine (HP M426) where the actuator/sensor that registers that there's paper in Tray 2 got banged out of whack. The machine registered a jam, but there wasn't anything other than the actuator not swinging freely, but sticking in one position unless manually moved.

I called HP Support, and was told that the part likely didn't exist on its own (and therefore wouldn't be replaceable), but *might* be part of the paper pickup roller assembly. It wasn't...but after some creative thinking and internet searching, I found a picture of the part I needed. With a part number.

Tray 2 sensor assembly: RM2-5375-000CN

Took it apart down to bare bones, as though I was replacing the transfer assembly, but if I ever have to do it again I'll try just taking off the front and side covers--mainly need to get to the metal bar that goes across the front of the machine, take that off, and then we can access the sensor. With some finagling, it can be replaced.

Just a heads-up, in case anyone ever runs into something like this.
    Greetings tech0419,

I ran into the same problem. The cassette for tray 2 would not seat properly due to the fact that the sensor was stuck forward of the stop. The end user not knowing this may have forced the cassette out make the problem worst. It neither moves or registers.

My question is does the tray 2 sensor assembly have spring or is it just free floating? I have a feeling it is the later.

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: Part number found; not in manual -- M402/M426

Greetings tech0419,

I ran into the same problem. The cassette for tray 2 would not seat properly due to the fact that the sensor was stuck forward of the stop. The end user not knowing this may have forced the cassette out make the problem worst. It neither moves or registers.

My question is does the tray 2 sensor assembly have spring or is it just free floating? I have a feeling it is the later.

Thank you for your assistance.
    I just checked on the 426 that is on my desk, and when working properly, it does seem to be free floating, without a spring. Now, I have one of these parts that I ordered and didn't end up needing (the assembly on the 402 I was working on wasn't broken, just out of position; I've only had to replace it if the plastic tab on the end was broken off). There is a spring that comes as part of the assembly, but doesn't really hinder the movement of the assembly. It tends to move all in one piece when the paper is present to move the flag either in or out of the photosensor.

For some reason, I can't upload a picture of the part. But, it should swing freely.

Hope that helps.