Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP Designjet T790 Faulty ink cartridge message

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Also, inspect the belt that draws the carriage back and forth. At this age, I would suspect it as starting to dry-rot. It should be shiny. If it looks flat and bits are coming off, it needs to be replaced. Usually they last 3-5 years, regardless of how much the printer is used.. at least here in South Florida.

Kiran

PS - I forgot, these use a heavier belt that lasts much longer. But still inspected it just the same.
    Yes, first thing I always check is the belt. Printer is clean as a whistle inside, no debris anywhere. Belt looks shiny and new.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Like I said, one ink cartridge can cause its neighbor to appear faulty. Always try them by themselves with the other cartridges removed to test.

Yeah, it takes an eternity to 'prepare' the printheads. Meanwhile it's dumping a ton of ink into the service station.

The clicking sound is the primer on the side of the service station. Usually when it gets stuck in this mode it's because of a printhead. Remove the printheads and start the printer, then go through the process of installing the printheads again.

You probably just have a bad printhead. Sometimes the plastic that carries the electrical circuit down to the nozzles separates from around the nozzles and can cause interference with the service station. Looks like this:

Attachment 39155

If the printheads are all the originals, and this printer sat somewhere unused for a long time, I would just flat out replace all 3. Even if you do get past getting them initialized I would suspect there to be a lot of nozzles out due to them sitting.

I wouldn't replace the hard drive. Nothing you've described suggests it's at fault. Make sure the contacts that mate with the ink cartridges are clean and not covered in ink. It sounds like the cyan or other cartridge is really the bad one but making the yellow misbehave. They're all connected through a matrix so as I said, one cartridge can cause another to appear faulty or do odd things.

Kiran
    I replaced the M/C when I first started working on the printer because I got an error saying the printhead needed replacing. After that, I couldn't get it to complete the installation, then got another error saying the PK/Y printhead needed to be replaced so replaced that one also. They're new and are not expired and genuine OEM HP printheads. (I don't trust the ones that say they've been rebuilt. Such delicate pieces I find it hard to believe anyone can successfully rebuild them and have them work right.) That's when I started getting the message that both printheads needed to complete the installation process. I didn't pull the third because I thought it was better to at least have THAT one not asking to complete installation but I'll pull the third and inspect closely for the problem you mention. I have a brand new one in the box waiting so probably just replace it and maybe cross that off the list of possible problems.

I did try removing all the ink carts and putting in just the yellow and got the same "faulty" message.

Good info on the primer/service station clicking. Didn't know about that. I'll do some closer looking at that. When the printer first gets booted up and is initializing, I can hear sound coming from the ink supply station towards the end of the process. I assumed that was what the printer was doing, checking the ink cartridges and priming the tubes. I don't get the clicking when first booting up. Only when it's doing the printhead installation process.

Another thing I haven't tried is pulling ink with the syringe. Keep forgetting to bring my syringe tool home.

I'll update when I try the new printhead. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    I'll update when I try the new printhead. Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated.
    Any resolution to this?
    I've got a VERY Similar situation, also the Yellow... multiple cartridges installed same complaint by printer...

I'll be looking at it in-person next week.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Afraid not. It 's only a 24" so not sure I want to put much into it. It's still waiting for new info on how to repair.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

To end this project, I decided to just part out this printer rather than investing any more time/money. If anyone needs parts, let me know by PM. Except for the ink supply station. Don't trust that it's in working condition.