Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

HP DesignJet Z3200ps 87.10 error

Hello all,

I just had this Z3200 brought in the shop for an 87.10 error. The tech replaced the belt in the field, but I have been trying to clean the encoder strip. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the strip. The carriage always stops at the same place....just after reaching the first black line on the metallic part of the encoder strip....about 8 inches (don't) into the carriage run. Short of replacing the carriage I thought I would check with everyone here and see if anyone had anything else I should be looking at. Thanks for taking the time to check this.

Al

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

Re: HP DesignJet Z3200ps 87.10 error

first couple things I'd check is that the encoder strip is seated in it's mount properly and see if the sensor on the carrier that reads the strip isn't loose or out of position GOOD LUCK

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP DesignJet Z3200ps  87.10 error

How did you clean the encoder strip? The slightest damage to the markings can cause a problem. I would replace the encoder strip first before the carriage.. the carriage AND trailing cable have to be replaced together (if I remember correctly, it's about $1200.) You're better off replacing just the carriage PCA (~$85); the encoder for the scan axis is soldered to the board.

Inspect the trailing cable where it plugs into the EMOD. If the ends are buggered that can be the cause of the problem, maybe you can find just a trailing cable somewhere.

Kiran

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Thanks for the input. We are going to start taking it apart today, so really appreciate the 'good luck'. Gave us a few things to check....hoping for a light problem since I only used warm water, a little Windex, and a soft cotton cloth for cleaning the encoder strip. Will post up anything we find if we are successful.....If not, check the NW Florida obituaries.

Al

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP DesignJet Z3200ps  87.10 error

See my other post for an example of how minor the damage to an encoder strip can be.

What a damaged encoder strip looks like from a Designjet

Kiran