Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Re: T1200 MFP printer/scanner question

Not to be off topic but, regarding the tool.. I wouldn't expect a mechanic to charge me for a tool to fix my car. It's a cost of doing business. I wouldn't charge my customer for the tool, personally. And on the same subject, despite all of the Designjets I've worked on, replacing the paper advance motor has been an extremely rare event. The only time I can recall was a 500 that needed one simply because it was worn out.

The roller encoder and sensor has everything to do with the paper advancing correctly. If they did replace it and the same exact problem still exists, then I would suspect the electronics module before I suspected the paper advance motor, assuming they didn't damage the new disc when installing it. It has to be pristine-clean. I suspect they put the old roller encoder disc back in after replacing the motor, and thus the same problem still exists. I'd also suspect the encoder sensor is OK; usually when it dies the printer will just throw 86:01 errors constantly thinking there's a paper jam.

Any encoder, disc or strip, is extremely sensitive to damage and misinterpretation by the sensor reading it. I made this picture by scanning a 500 encoder disk, brand new, at 1200dpi, and had to zoom in on a section just to finally see the actual lines.. and ironically, it appears to already have some damage. But I hope it conveys how fine these microscopic lines that the sensor is looking at are.

explorer_2018-07-13_07-44-13.jpg

So, if they replaced the encoder disc, inspect the old one. And have them replace the disc again, and the sensor. The disc must be cleaned (allegedly with alcohol but I would just use a damp, lint free cloth) after it's installed. Also the service manual tells you to never install a previously used encoder sensor.. (I assume they mean from another printer though.) Then make sure they do the calibrations/tests outlined in the service manual when these components are replaced (Paper Drive, Paper Advance Calibration, Electronics Module, Sensors.)

If the advance calibration fails, run the line sensor test. But, if you run a print and have the same 3.5" breaks in it.. I don't think the advance calibration could ever complete successfully. With the motor, encoder disc and sensor ruled out, the next item would be the electronics module, in my opinion.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Unfortunatley, we didn't get the old disc back, which seems suspicious. I'm going to text the tech and see if they still have it.

I can do the diagnostic test on the electronics module next.

We WERE getting 86:01 errors before they replaced the media advance motor and the star wheel motor. None since then.

I'll do the line sensor test again also.

Thanks!

86:01 could be caused by a bad encoder strip; maybe that's why they replaced it.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I don't think they replaced the long strip. Just the disc.

Ah, ok. In you original post you said the encoder strip.

Kiran

regarding the tool.. I wouldn't expect a mechanic to charge me for a tool to fix my car.

Sorry for the language, but, that's just a dick move. I don't charge for special tools either. A couple of years ago, I bought the special tools needed to work on HP's Officejet printbar printers. Never used them! Thought they might take off, so, I bought 'em.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Ah, ok. In you original post you said the encoder strip.

Kiran
    My fault. I had to call them the other day to clarify because they told me originally the strip but when I called, they confirmed they did the disc. Don't know why they didn't do the media advance calibration at that time. Or maybe they tried and it didn't work for them either but didn't mention it.

Today, I hooked up a Designjet 800 in place of the T1200 and had good luck getting it synched up with the scanner and was able to print from my computer over our network. I'm on Win 7 so it was pretty easy. The other co-worker is on Win 10 and it won't print from his so we're thinking of going back to Win 7 on his machine if our IT guys can't get it to go.

We're making baby steps to have something working at least.

Thanks!

You can install the 800 on Windows 10 using the Windows 7 drivers from HP.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softw...10wx64glen.exe

Kiran

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Maybe I missed it but did they give you the special tool, that didn't work? I think you have a legitimate complaint. First off if I needed a special tool and it's a tool I wouldn't use much than I would do one of two things, like another poster said hide all or some of the cost of tool in the bill, or better yet tell the customer about extra charge for the tool, GIVE it to customer when job is complete and tell them it is a tool they will need for "proper calibration" in the future.

Hearing what happen with the original poster of this thread I feel bad. Wouldn't want that to happen to me. I must run my small business differently, can't remember last time I walked out of a customer's office with the machine still not repaired and handing them a bill. If I'm going to start guessing with parts than I feel an obligation to eat it if wrong. I will always try and research a strange issue before I start guessing with parts, special tools, etc.

Personally I would call the service manager and talk to him and about lowering bill. Point him to this forum. I hate these companies & techs that guess with part after part than after all is said and done they have the balls to hand you a bill to pay for all their wrong guesses! Than blame on something seriously wrong like a main board, etc etc. then walk away saying machine is shot. Bad business! Makes all of us look bad.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    You can install the 800 on Windows 10 using the Windows 7 drivers from HP.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softw...10wx64glen.exe

Kiran
    Thanks Kiran. I'll try that one.

Appreciate the help.