Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Designjet Z5200 Blurry (3rd try)

Have a customer with a Designjet Z5200 that is double printing lines leading to blurry print. It appears to complete the print head alignment correctly and that page looks great. We ran some diagnostics and calibrations to try to determine the issue.

(Visit 1) We were not able to complete the line sensor service calibration (failed with an error code 2, but the service manual does not list this) and while doing diagnostics the unit failed the carriage diagnostic with an error indicating a bad line sensor so we replaced the line sensor with a brand new one direct from HP.

(Visit 2) After installation of the new line sensor we still could not complete the line sensor calibration (still failing with a error code 2) however the carriage diagnostics were now passing the line sensor but now failing on the CSP (color sensor), oddly the color sensor stand along diagnostic passes and the calibration is successful.

(Visit 3) We replaced the carriage PCA board per the service manual (line sensor error). However the unit still fails the carriage diagnostics for the color sensor (still passes the standalone diags and calibration) and still will not calibrate the line sensor (now fails with an error code 2 or error code 5, again neither of these are in the service manual). Another odd issue is with the new carriage PCA the carriage does not move to the center (it moves off center to the right) during the scan axis diagnostic. I did check the trailing cable and there appears to be no damage and also cleaned the encoder strip.

At this point I am at a loss but don't want to keep throwing the client's money into this. The issue for the client is they really need to be able to use the unit and due to procurement procedures (it is government) it will be months before they can buy a replacement.

Technician

Re: Designjet Z5200 Blurry (3rd try)

Have a customer with a Designjet Z5200 that is double printing lines leading to blurry print. It appears to complete the print head alignment correctly and that page looks great. We ran some diagnostics and calibrations to try to determine the issue.

How does the print quality diagnostic print look? Do you have any pictures of the issue?

(Visit 1) We were not able to complete the line sensor service calibration (failed with an error code 2, but the service manual does not list this) and while doing diagnostics the unit failed the carriage diagnostic with an error indicating a bad line sensor so we replaced the line sensor with a brand new one direct from HP.

This calibration is very sensitive to the type of media loaded. If you were able to do a printhead alignment successfully, chances are the line sensor is OK, otherwise the alignment should fail. What media are you trying to do the line sensor calibration on? I tell users to keep a roll of HP HW Coated Paper just for tests and alignments. I'll ask HP what error code 2 means. I'm curious myself. (I got a reply and my contact doesn't know what error 2 is either! x.x)

(Visit 2) After installation of the new line sensor we still could not complete the line sensor calibration (still failing with a error code 2) however the carriage diagnostics were now passing the line sensor but now failing on the CSP (color sensor), oddly the color sensor stand along diagnostic passes and the calibration is successful.

Well that's an odd one. I too would think the carriage PCA next. Doing a color calibration should help determine if the ESP is really bad, if it fails to calibrate. It's also a rather (stupidly) expensive little part.

(Visit 3) We replaced the carriage PCA board per the service manual (line sensor error). However the unit still fails the carriage diagnostics for the color sensor (still passes the standalone diags and calibration) and still will not calibrate the line sensor (now fails with an error code 2 or error code 5, again neither of these are in the service manual). Another odd issue is with the new carriage PCA the carriage does not move to the center (it moves off center to the right) during the scan axis diagnostic. I did check the trailing cable and there appears to be no damage and also cleaned the encoder strip.

Compare the two PCAs.. ensure they're identical. The encoder strip sensor is soldered to the board; make sure it's in the same location. Also make sure the cutter is installed when testing. I don't think there's any way you could have the wrong carriage PCA, but... stranger things have happened.

When testing the line sensor, do you get the BROG values? And what media are you doing this on, specifically? HP or other brand?

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

That's funny. A forum about printing that doesn't like the word 'print' in the subject?

Kiran

Technician

How does the print quality diagnostic print look? Do you have any pictures of the issue? The print quality diagnostic appears normal. However any other internal prints show the issue.

This calibration is very sensitive to the type of media loaded. If you were able to do a printhead alignment successfully, chances are the line sensor is OK, otherwise the alignment should fail. What media are you trying to do the line sensor calibration on? I tell users to keep a roll of HP HW Coated Paper just for tests and alignments. I'll ask HP what error code 2 means. I'm curious myself. (I got a reply and my contact doesn't know what error 2 is either! x.x)

HP Instant Dry Glossy Photo Paper. I don't beleive they have any of the coated paper, they only use photo paper, uncoated plain, and sign/banner scrim (can't think of the name offhand).

Well that's an odd one. I too would think the carriage PCA next. Doing a color calibration should help determine if the ESP is really bad, if it fails to calibrate. It's also a rather (stupidly) expensive little part.

That's what I would assume but it oddly completes the color calibration without error.

Compare the two PCAs.. ensure they're identical. The encoder strip sensor is soldered to the board; make sure it's in the same location. Also make sure the cutter is installed when testing. I don't think there's any way you could have the wrong carriage PCA, but... stranger things have happened.

They do appear exactly alike.

When testing the line sensor, do you get the BROG values? And what media are you doing this on, specifically? HP or other brand?

Yes and the values are well within range, I beleive 850 to 860. The media is HP Instant Dry Glossy Photo Paper

Technician

I didn't snap any pictures of the issue (I will see if the client can email me one) but here is a picture of the Line Sensor calibration error, it also returns a 5 sometimes.

file-2.jpg

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    That's funny. A forum about printing that doesn't like the word 'print' in the subject?

Kiran
    Yeah that is rather odd. Thank you for your help!

Were you trying the calibrations and tests on the Instant Dry Photo Gloss? Because that stuff has traditionally been a problem in all Designjets since the beginning of time. (The Instant Dry Photo Satin does not have the problem.) I would try the calibrations on the bond paper they have, see what happens.

Kiran

Technician

I was it was the only one they have that it would accept for the service calibrations, the other types they had it would not accept. Is there a specific type you would recommend?

Technician

Here is a print sample, you can really see it on the text at the bottom.

file-3.jpg

That pic is so small I can't really see what's going on.

Load the bond paper and tell the printer it's HP Coated paper.

Kiran