Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

HP plotter issue.

So, my customer bought a new HP Z6800. They bask me to put it together. It is in a highly secured area. It is a replacement for the Z6200 they just turned in. When I showed up on Friday morning, they had lost the instructions. I was able to wing it and put the stand together. I start the set up. Get to the part where the machine tells me to install ink. This is where I stop. The machine does not like the yellow slot. Says the cartridge is defective. I have another out of a working plotter, does the same thing. Now this is why the 6200 got turned in. It was doing the same thing with 2 different slots. The customer is livid.I leave and tell them to call HP. A few hours later they are calling me to tell me I should call HP because I am the plotter expert. I agree to do this. Now I have a problem. When I go to the website, the serial number is not recognized because it is new and has not been registered. I can find no number to call. Customer is loosing their mind. Can anyone tell me how to contact HP about this, and if you have the set up instructions, that would be great.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP plotter issue.

Re: HP plotter issue.

1-800-334-5144 is the HP Designjet tech support line. If the printer isn't registered, register it in the buyer's name, etc.

If you've got the printer on the stand and are into the ink initialization, you're pretty much done with the instructions.

The setup guide is on HP's website, along with the user guides, etc. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04275536

The manual states: Make sure that new Ink Cartridges are installed or that the ink volume remaining in the Ink
    Cartridges is below 88% before starting to prime the tubes. Otherwise, you will see a warning message.

So the original ink cartridge may truly be defective, it happens. And it may rejecting your other cartridge because it's too full (as silly as that sounds.)

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

That's a tough one.

I would agree with Kiran, to start with the assumption that you have a defective ctg.

Thanks for responding. I contacted HP. First thing they wanted done, was a firmware update, which I did today. As soon as it finished the firmware, it booted to a 24:10 error for a broken bag. It wouldn't recover, so HP is shipping me a new set of start up inks. If that doesn't work, it becomes thier problem. Customer is really pissed about unboxing a new one that has the same issue the old one had. I am betting the new ink will not fix it.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

HP plotter issue.

Is the printer located at a high altitude or something?

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    Is the printer located at a high altitude or something?

Kiran

Nope, Sandhills of North Carolina is pretty close to sea level. The previous plotter was a 6200, only a few years old. Little over a year ago I replaced the ink tubes for a leak. Last month it started displaying the broken bag error. Went through the same things with the cust buying new ink that didn't fix the issue. When I said replace the tubes again, they decided to buy a new one. Didn't buy it from me, but now it's my problem.

Should have known it was jinxed. Last week I was in the compound to set up the little 120 I sold them, they showed me the boxes and ask if they could pay me to set it up. Minutes later wound up trying to chase down a stray kitten, lost my keys and had to have the boss bring me another truck key. They found my keys after I was 2 hours away. Kitten got away.

HP plotter issue.

That's really bizarre that you would have the same problem with 2 different printers, especially one that's brand new out of the box. And especially a problem that obscure.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's just a bad ink cartridge. If not, HP should come out and fix it at their expense since it's under warranty.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    That's really bizarre that you would have the same problem with 2 different printers, especially one that's brand new out of the box. And especially a problem that obscure.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's just a bad ink cartridge. If not, HP should come out and fix it at their expense since it's under warranty.

Kiran

The new ink did not fix it. I turned it over to HP. Will find out what happened when I deliver paper I sold them.

Have not found out what happened yet. Yesterday, the tech they were expecting last week called me, saying he hasn't got the part yet. He had no clue as to what the issue was, so I filled him in.

HP plotter issue.

Did he say what part? I suspect the tube assembly.

Kiran