Thread: HP CLJ 3505n

HP CLJ 3505n

replaced the main drive assy, i remember that the arrows on the 4 gears need to be lined up a certain way, i got the top to lined up correctly with marks on the frame, but not sure how to line up the bottom 2. could not find info in service manual. any help would be great, thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ 3505n

Re: HP CLJ 3505n

Going on memory, but........

All the gears have an oval cutout. They all face upwards towards a stamped triangle on the chassis
    The bottom right two gears that may or may not come off with the main drive have holes that need to line up to one another EXACTLY PER TOOTH
    Alignment2.jpgAlignment1.jpg

You aligned the main drive assembly, yes?

Here are the pictures I was looking for.

Main Drive Alignment.jpg
    Gear Alignment.jpg

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Re: HP CLJ 3505n

Pay attention to the gears that turn the shafts that push the ctgs up against the transfer unit. It's up by the fuser drive ass. There are two solenoid actuators. One for the color ctgs, one for the black. If you actuate the solenoid, and turn the gears, you can see the shaft slowly turning. Then it stops turning when the solenoid catches again. if that happens you have to do it one more time, because a complete turn of those gears only turns the shaft 180 degrees. If one of the solenoids gets bumped or actuated, it ends up being that the shaft is out of sync with the other ones.

If you put it all back together and the color works but not the black, or the black works but not the colors, then that's what happened.

I usually actuate each one twice, turning the gears until they catch again, and make sure all the shafts are in their right order before putting the main drive assembly back on. If you look at the shafts, each one should be turned just a little bit more than the one above it.