Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

Hp designjet 4520 86-01 code

Customer said it would do this every once and awhile----Of course ----Called me to replace the shredded carriage belt, Put the belt on start it up goes thru initialization and comes back to the right and stops dead about a foot from the service station 86-01 possible paper jam. tried it a couple more times after checking that the tubes weren't catching cleaned the encoder and still comes to a halt about a foot from the service station I see it move to the right while initializing then to the left and cleaners move and as the carriage come from the left back to the service station it stop a foot from the the station. I was thinking encoder but the the customer tells me it happens a lot I think it might be the motor to much resistance?? anyone have any ideas lack of lubrication maybe???

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Hp designjet 4520     86-01 code

Re: Hp designjet 4520 86-01 code

Encoder strip would be my guess. The motors rarely ever fail. See my other post: What a damaged encoder strip looks like from a Designjet

It's very easy to miss the damage to the encoder strip.

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

If the carriage has a lot of resistance, maybe. Usually, if you're replacing the belt, then you clean and lube the rail while you have it off. But it's probably the encoder strip.

Technician

hello everybody,
    i'm going crazy about this problem ..
    I state that the plotter worked but had the belt at the end of its life, I advised the customer to wait for the replacement and not to use the plotter but he continued and the belt frayed and wrapped in the tensioner ..
    Then when the new belt arrived I went to replace it and from that moment the problem of the first post occurs continuously.
    I cleaned the motor pulley and oiled the guides.
    The carriage moves freely with the hands but stops following a slight vibration when it is pulled by the motor.
    I replaced the encoder strip and sensor with no improvement.
    If I loosen the tension of the belt the carriage reaches the right but when it restarts quickly to the left it re-locks.
    The bushings remain to be replaced, but I have never had to do it, not even on the most worn out machines, moreover it worked perfectly before...
    Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance, Massimo

ps. the other plotter of my first post has been collected and replaced at the customer and is in stock awaiting treatment, I must follow the advice received.

There is a 2nd rail up in back of the carriage that it slides along. Make sure this is clean. I've run into a similar issue and found this rail was caked with ink.

If it's not that, I'm not sure what to suggest. Make sure the tube assembly is installed correctly and not broken, it can cause interference at the carriage where it mounts to it.

At any time did you remove or attempt to remove the bushings in the carriage? If they're not installed correctly that could have an effect on how the carriage rides (namely the height of it.) I don't recall if they can be removed like on the 500.

Does it have the same problem with the printheads removed?

Kiran

Technician

hi Kiran,
    i also cleaned the guide you are talking about, the plastic bushing works perfectly.
    Even the tubes are well positioned and do not interfere with the movement of the carriage.
    Yes the bushings can be removed, I have cleaned and reassembled them several times, even reversing them, but the defect remains the same ..
    The main bushings have a slight movement, they do not adhere perfectly to the axis.
    But, if I remember correctly, this is also the case on the 500/800 ..
    I haven't tried without heads, but they don't touch bottom.

Massimo

EDIT
    I forgot to mention that I have run the axis test and passed the encoder check phase when the carriage moves to the right slowly to restart quickly to the left, immediately it stops with code 86:01.
    Last edited by Massimo Italy; 07-15-2022 at 05:29 PM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

When the belt degrades, quite often some of that rubber dust packs into the timing pulley on carriage motor. I've had to scrape out the teeth of the timing pulley of the motor with dental tools. Also make sure that the belt is tensioned correctly. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    When the belt degrades, quite often some of that rubber dust packs into the timing pulley on carriage motor. I've had to scrape out the teeth of the timing pulley of the motor with dental tools. Also make sure that the belt is tensioned correctly. =^..^=
    I always have to do this! I carry a couple picks and a brass-wire brush for just this purpose.

Kiran

Technician

I certainly cleaned the motor pulley and removed any remnants of the old belt, but the tensioner has a fixed position and is not adjustable.
    As I said before if I loosen it the defect remains but the block area moves.
    I ordered the bushings, we'll see when they arrive.
    have a good weekend.

Technician

Finally the bushing arrived, I mounted them and the problem is exactly the same!
    The engine remains to be replaced, but is it possible that it has no problems at low speed and when it turns faster it brakes or slows down?
    The plotter worked before the belt broke.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks, Massimo