Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Designjet 800, what are the odds?

So, customer number 1 calls with an issue on his 800. I arrive and the machine displays a 21:10 error, for service station. I clean the encoder, lube the rail and do the basics. Each time you boot, when the carriage goes into the service station, it codes. I assume its the service station, but my tech support says he bets on rail or encoder or something else. Now I have doubt.

Meanwhile, customer number 2 calls with a working 800, and wants service, as it has never been serviced. When I look at it, I see two things. The belt should be changed as it is starting to loose teeth and the whole inside is coated with a light spray of magenta ink. The customer has no idea how long it has been that way. The inside back frame is coated, its all the way up on the board by the control panel and the encoder is covered, but the machine was working. I come back with a belt, change it, clean everything, inspect tubes and find no sign of a leak. I reassemble and the machine codes 21:10. Now I am focused on the encoder. Maybe I did something trying to clean all of that ink off. I replace the encoder strip and now it codes 21:20. I will have to sell a service station for $275, so I don't want to guess.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Designjet 800, what are the odds?

So you have 2 printers with the same problem? I bet that's never happened before.

How are you cleaning the encoder strip? Have you removed it and examined it closely for damage? They tend to get damaged near the service station but that would usually cause a 86:01. To be certain that the service station isn't causing a motion issue with the carriage, simply remove the service station (but keep it connected) and start the printer.. see what happens. I'd replace the encoder strip before the service station if there's any doubt; always replace the least expensive part first. Encoder strip is $49 from LPS.

Is the service station making an unusual noise when the error occurs? Or not making any noise? Turn the white gear on the side and see if you can exercise it from one end to the other. See if there's any foreign objects in the service station. If there's ink leaking from the seams around the top, it's likely just full and needs to be replaced. If you can pour fluid ink out of it... that's a real good sign it's at the end of its life.

If the service station has a fan, then update the firmware and remove the fan.

The 'magenta' looking overspray is normal for a printer with a lot of use. Simple Green takes it off pretty well.

A service station with exchange is $109 (+shipping) from LPS Computer.

Kiran

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    The 'magenta' looking overspray is normal for a printer with a lot of use. Simple Green takes it off pretty well.

A service station with exchange is $109 (+shipping) from LPS Computer.

Kiran
    talk to Eddie @ Liberty Parts.. he's good n won't BS YOU

I AGREE both on the encoder AND Simple Green!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    talk to Eddie @ Liberty Parts.. he's good n won't BS YOU

I AGREE both on the encoder AND Simple Green!

Eddie is the one that told me that it is rarely the service station. I have inspected the encoder on the one I didn't change, with reading glasses a flashlight and a white piece of paper. If I had the first call only, I would have replaced the service station by now, Eddie had me doubt that and when I changed the belt on a working one and got the same error, started to wonder what I was missing.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

When you move that stuff around, whatever was almost ready to break, breaks. The service station errors aren't related to the encoder. But here's how I handle service station error:

I keep a service station in stock. When I get a 21 error, I simply swap it for $200 (no labor). Then I take the old one back to the shop, clean it up, and get it ready to swap with the next machine.

Most of the time, the problem is just gunked up ink. It takes about an hour or two to clean them out and get them looking new.

BTW - if anyone has a junk one, I'll paypal $20 plus shipping for it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

BTW - the reason I say $200, is because if I go to the customer, and clean out their service station there at their place, it takes about two hours. So I just charge them 2 hours worth of labor for a swap.

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    When you move that stuff around, whatever was almost ready to break, breaks. The service station errors aren't related to the encoder. But here's how I handle service station error:

I keep a service station in stock. When I get a 21 error, I simply swap it for $200 (no labor). Then I take the old one back to the shop, clean it up, and get it ready to swap with the next machine.

Most of the time, the problem is just gunked up ink. It takes about an hour or two to clean them out and get them looking new.

BTW - if anyone has a junk one, I'll paypal $20 plus shipping for it.

Sounds logical. I was on my way to it and got detoured today.