Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts mjunkaged's Avatar

M4345 'initializing scanner, please wait' message......forever until power reset

Hey guys. I had a Laserjet M4345 that was giving the 'initializing scanner please wait' message every couple days, cleared by power switch off/on........

Tech support at an HP parts seller kept having me initialize HDD, cold reset, replacing HDD, buy more parts, etc. etc. etc.
    The scanner LOOKED clean peering down through the glass and looking at scanned pages.

Finally, I took the scanner apart, cleaned photosensors (dry) and put all the lube on the end of the scan rail back on the working part of the rail/bushings. Cleaned all including lamp and 1st reflector spotless, tightened ground screws (2), removed/reinserted connectors. So far it's fixed. Zero parts were bad. I'm guessing here, but probably dirty sensor (lid or home) or loose connection. I doubt an 'invisible' film on optics caused it, since scans/copies were perfect-looking.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    M4345 'initializing scanner, please wait' message......forever until power reset

Re: M4345 'initializing scanner, please wait' message......forever until power reset

Quote Originally Posted by mjunkaged View Post
    Hey guys. I had a Laserjet M4345 that was giving the 'initializing scanner please wait' message every couple days, cleared by power switch off/on........
    Tech support at an HP parts seller kept having me initialize HDD, cold reset, replacing HDD, buy more parts, etc. etc. etc.
    The scanner LOOKED clean peering down through the glass and looking at scanned pages.
    Finally, I took the scanner apart, cleaned photosensors (dry) and put all the lube on the end of the scan rail back on the working part of the rail/bushings. Cleaned all including lamp and 1st reflector spotless, tightened ground screws (2), removed/reinserted connectors. So far it's fixed. Zero parts were bad. I'm guessing here, but probably dirty sensor (lid or home) or loose connection. I doubt an 'invisible' film on optics caused it, since scans/copies were perfect-looking.

the scanner units on those were PIGS. ( much like the rest of the POS ) I have had to replace several scanners after doing all that you have done ( issue back in a week or so )