Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Designjet 510, jitter

Designjet 510, jitter

Designjet 510, jitter

To start with, I'm an Indy doing mainly KonicaMinolta copiers so practically a noob. Though I replaced in the past a few times a drive belt in Designjets my experience is limited here.

The machine is very clean and barely used. Occasionally there's a small jitter of about 1mm in the middle off the print. When it happens there is a slight noise coming from the carriage. Drive belt is rather new and looks very much OK.

Also is the customer complaining that the service station isn't cleaning well anymore.

- What to do? Cleaning or replacing the encoder strip or are there other known issues or options?
    - Does the service station needs replacement or can it be overhauled?

Thanks

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Designjet 510, jitter

Re: Designjet 510, jitter

*mumble, cough *

Hans

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet 510, jitter

You'll have to take the carriage out but check for a missing or broken rear bushing.

Rear carriage bushing.jpg

It's easily broken when reinstalling the carriage and radically effects the height of the carriage.

LPS sells the bushing. Designjet Store

Check to make sure the service station is installed correctly. It must slide onto two ledges on either side (front and back.) If it's under one of those, it won't reach the carriage. Also make sure the two screws securing the service station do not have any washers under them.

If the above all seems good, check the carriage bushings. They should never be removed but people for some reason think you need to take them out to get the carriage out of the printer. If they are put back in backwards it will cause various problems.

Wrong - Bushing protrudes
    bushing wrong.jpg

Correct: Bushing sits flush
    bushing correct.jpg

Kiran

Designjet 510, jitter

Great Info! Thanks! Will go there beginning next week and see. Would there ever be any reason to replace the whole service station? That's what the customer wants me to do.

Hans

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Designjet 510, jitter

If the service station is a nasty mess with ink, yes, it's a good reason to replace it.

A good indication that it's not doing what it should is if the black print head is caked with dried ink. Plus if the wipers are dirty, or the sponge on the left is caked with ink. You can clean it but.. I find it much easier to just replace the thing.

Here's a good example of what I consider a bad service station. In the first pic, you can see the build up of ink and the path the printheads have actually cut through it.

500 service station2 small.jpg500 service station small.jpg

Kiran

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post

Also is the customer complaining that the service station isn't cleaning well anymore.
    I'm not sure what that means. The only way to tell if it's not doing its job, is if the printheads get clogged. As long as they are printing something every week, that shouldn't happen. If they are getting clogged, make sure it's because they don't just need new printheads.

Usually, you know you need a service station if you get a 21:10 error. Otherwise, you leave it alone.