Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Let's play "Stump the Tech"

Actually, I am not looking for tips, it has gone past that point. HP told me to close the ticket. I think they will replace it. Without writing a novel detailing all the little things I went through troubleshooting, here it is in a nutshell...

HP M4555 mfp

Issue is jamming. It only jams from tray 3,4 or 5 after the "bin full" actuator has been tripped. It will run hundreds from any of these trays as long as you keep the paper removed. As soon as the bin full actuator is tripped, then the paper removed, it will then jam on the right side every page. Tray 2 works fine. If you start a job in tray 5, trip bin full, then have it continue from tray 2, it works. I replaced the following...

Entire tray 3, 4 and 5 cabinet
    output unit
    fuser
    formatter/hdd
    DC controller

I called it dead at the end of day and closed my ticket. This has drug on as a third party ticket for over 2 months now. Glad to see it go, but still want to know what the hell is going on.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Let's play "Stump the Tech"

Sounds like a firmware bug, I guess you would have updated that before changing boards?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Actually, I am not looking for tips, it has gone past that point. HP told me to close the ticket. I think they will replace it. Without writing a novel detailing all the little things I went through troubleshooting, here it is in a nutshell...
    HP M4555 mfp
    Issue is jamming. It only jams from tray 3,4 or 5 after the "bin full" actuator has been tripped. It will run hundreds from any of these trays as long as you keep the paper removed. As soon as the bin full actuator is tripped, then the paper removed, it will then jam on the right side every page. Tray 2 works fine. If you start a job in tray 5, trip bin full, then have it continue from tray 2, it works. I replaced the following...
    Entire tray 3, 4 and 5 cabinet
    output unit
    fuser
    formatter/hdd
    DC controller
    I called it dead at the end of day and closed my ticket. This has drug on as a third party ticket for over 2 months now. Glad to see it go, but still want to know what the hell is going on.
    Brother.. 'bout the only thing besides new firmware wuold have been a total mem clear back to factory defaults before the firmware.. other than that I think you did everything expected.. AND if HP said to "drop it" .... RUN FOREST RUN!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Sounds like a firmware bug, I guess you would have updated that before changing boards?
    oh yes, several times.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    oh yes, several times.
    Do you remember what the official jam code was?
    I'm assuming that your specific jam code referenced a jam at the output area, but double-check that code because sometimes paper that appears to stop at the tail of the print process only jams because there is a timing error with a secondary/trailing page earlier in the printer path.

If you're looking for other random possibilities ... the fuser drive assembly is very prone to wear on this model (similar to M601/M602/M603 and will usually make a deep, heavy humming/grinding noise as it starts to wear) and gummy/sticking solenoids for paper pickup can cause some weird timing issues, although replacing that lower cabinet should take care of the pickup solenoids for trays assuming the second cabinet didn't also have gummy solenoids.
    Duplexer might also be a consideration for slowing down timing / triggering jams, if that's being used on these jobs.
    Paper size settings might also be a consideration if those for the lower trays didn't match the upper Tray 2.