Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HPDJ Z3200ps photo printer with Error code 79:04 44" model

Re: HPDJ Z3200ps photo printer with Error code 79:04 44" model

Thank you so much for these posts. The customer just informed me that the cutter hanger broke.
    I can only assume he was desperate and was trying to use it. He said he ordered another.
    Yes, I'm fairly sure I ordered the correct encoder. All the packaging is gone but I can check the invoice.
    It did look just like the old one and I check with the book to make sure it was installed correctly.
    I will check and make sure that the carriage is not slipping on the belt, but I am faily sure it is not.
    I will order the carriage pca and replace that after I do the scan axis with out the cutter.

Thanks

DR

I'm going back again today to re-run the tests. I took some notes yesterday. I will post more later today. One thing though, the customer did run some prints and they came out very nice.
    That's when the cutter hanger broke so he manually cut the print off after using the paper advance a couple of times.
    I ran the print head alignment and it left the image in the paper path. I ran the paper advance test and it failed it the first time. I had the paper lever in the up position.
    Ran it again and put the lever down half way through the test and it passed.
    I am going to re-run these test today and pay close attention to all the details. I will post the results later today.

Thanks for all the help, I'm leaning toward replacing the print mech board or the the carriage PCA. What do you think?

DR

First I ran the paper drive and it passed. I have all the numbers written down if needed just ask. I ran all the tests without paper. It also passed the star wheel lifter test.
    It passed the PRS test.

This time when going into the diagnostic menu a small box was displayed to the right of the scroll bar and it had its own count down or up to 100%. It also had the letters
    FSCK in the lower portion. What is that all about?

The scan axis test ran til it got to the "is the carriage in the middle?" part. The carriage would move past the control panel about 6 or 8 inches then move to about 4" away from
    the service station and ask the question "Is the carriage in the middle?". I said "NO", it gave me an error code of 42:10 high friction fail. Which sez replace the scan axis motor.
    when it asked is the carriage in the middle, to me the middle is the control panel. Is that where it is supposed to stop?

Re ran it again, this time the little box with the letters FSCK did not appear. Got to the question about the middle and said yes. I moved the carriage the 10 spaces with the buttons
    and got a max and min movement numbers. It said the encoder feedback seems ok.
    It did the right and left bump and gave the error 87:11, "Fail, scan axis length to short" and the number 1068960. "Needs mechanical repair", fail scan axis encoder reading.

I checked the encoder strip and there are 3 holes on the left end. 1 for the screw and 2 for the location bumps and one hole on the right end for the spring. I can re-order the strip
    from a different vendor, but this one seem to fit. On the left end the part with the lines goes all the way to the belt tensioner and the right end the portion with the lines stop about
    3" from the end but I can see the encoder sensor is still on the part with the lines.
    This call is burning me out WTF is going on? And why did this happen? I have cleaned and vacuumed other plotters and replaced encoder strips and svc stations and belt and carriages
    before and never had this much trouble.

only 2.5 years til I retire, can't wait

DR

The FSCK stands for File System ChecK. It is checking the file system on the HDD. Like a checkdisk in Windows.

On the left end the part with the lines goes all the way to the belt tensioner....
    That doesn't seem right to me. Can't remember exactly, but, that doesn't seem right.

To be sure you have the right encoder strip, compare it to the old one. Since you have a new one coming, compare it to the one you're currently using to see if they differ. If you did manage to get the wrong encoder strip, the pitch of the lines on it could be different.. I don't know. I think I mentioned that I had a customer who tried to replace the encoder strip in their printer, and got the wrong one, but it sort of worked. The strip was just a bit too short and was very hard to install, which tipped me off to it being the wrong one. Then I had 86:01 and cutter problems until I got the right encoder strip.

I would probably replace the carriage PCA next, then the trailing cable, followed by the printmech PCA since it drives the carriage motor, if ruling out the encoder strip doesn't do it.

Kiran

Lance15,
    That makes sense. I've seen it do this a couple of times. The first code I got after doing the work was the 79:04, generic firmware.
    I do have a firmware file for this machine. I will look through the manual for instructions to download the firmware. I've heard of customers
    doing this so I hope I can figure it out.

Kiran,
    What Lance said makes me want to re-load or upgrade the firmware first. Any pointers on doing this would be helpful.

Thanks

DR

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Here's the thread where I was having something similar:

Designjet Z3200 86:01 error

79:04 is a error the firmware doesn't have a specific code for. It does not mean there is an error in the firmware. You can update it but it's unlikely to fix whatever is causing the error. If you look at the firmware details on HP's website, you can see the list of things the firmware update addresses.. but getting a 79:04 isn't an indication that the firmware needs to be updated.

At any rate, it IS usually a good idea to have the latest firmware. Just make sure you get the correct firmware, A vs B model. It has to be updated via the web interface.

Kiran

Kiran,
    I agree with your last post about the firmware. I wasn't looking forward to that anyways.
    On my last visit I got some numbers off of the encoder strip. Nothing that looks like the part number I ordered.
    I did check my notes and did not get the number wrong. I ordered the strip from PartsNow.com.
    The number off the strip is CH538-80002 0110 and GMNA22.
    I also ran the scan axis diagnostic again and it said the scan axis length is to short. I am going to re order the
    encoder strip today.

Thanks for all the help

DR

What part number did you order? It should be Q6677-60024. The part number on the actual part may differ but should match the part number on the old part, at least.

Kiran