Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HPDJ Z3200ps photo printer with Error code 79:04 44" model

Re: HPDJ Z3200ps photo printer with Error code 79:04 44" model

Kiran,
    That is the part number I ordered. I'm thinking the next step should be to replace the carriage PCA. May be it got an esd discharge from the vacuum. Although
    it is a grounded unit and I did not notice any signs of arcing from the hose like I do on copiers while vacuuming up small amounts of toner. But I did have the
    machine unplugged as I usually do.
    At any rate it thinks the carriage axis is to short. It travels smoothly up and down the length when powered up. I've seen them get a jerky travel when there
    are segments missing on the encoder strip. I would expect it to do the same if it was not counting every step.

If it thinks it's to short may be I should replace the sensor first in the carriage first? I would hate to have to replace the whole carriage unit just for the sensor.
    I will look through the book again.

Thanks

DR

You can replace just the carriage PCA board; the encoder strip sensor is built onto the board, you can't just replace it like with some other models. It's a bear to get the flex cables reattached though.. not fun.

I would also make sure the carriage isn't broken; there is a little stub on the right site that makes contact with the right side of the printer. Make sure it's not been broken off.

2018-12-10 11.53.54.jpg

And on the left end, there is a post that sticks out that the carriage bumps. Make sure there isn't a screw sticking through there past it.. I've caught other techs putting the wrong screws in the wrong places many times. Also make sure the belt tensioner is installed correctly.. the tolerance there is very close with the carriage.

2018-12-07 11.00.49.jpg

Rule out that encoder strip first. Interestingly, my pics are from a Z3100 and the number on the encoder strip is Q6659-80003 which is NOT the HP part number you would order.. which is typical for HP. If you look it up at HP's part site, it doesn't exist. But if you google it, you'll find it from other sources.. which is a problem.
    Don't go by the part number on the part. Go by the part number in the service manual.

Kiran

PS- I don't think you have an encoder sensor problem. Sounds like it's working just fine.

Kiran,
    Yes the first pic shows the stub on the carriage, mine is still there. That second picture is that of a Z3200?
    I ask because I noticed the end of the encoder strip is positioned same as the machine I'm working on but I did
    not see the cutter in your pic. Must be lower out of the frame?
    I ordered the first one with the spring attached, so I'm sure of the installation.
    I guess I can re-order the strip and compare it to the one in the machine now. Then return it if I have the
    correct one installed. May be you could suggest a new part source?

Thanks

DR

Yes, the cutter is just out of the frame.

One very reliable part source... is HP. The HP Parts Store | HP Computer Parts | HP Printer Parts

And LPS Computer.

Kiran

I spent some time on this to double check things. I ran the carriage test from diagnostics. Here are the results.

1) the carriage pca revision is 2.313 The book sez it should be between .0823 and 1.005. Pressing back/cancel did nothing but I could
    select "No". Then the test continued.

2) everything was fine til it got to the ESP sensor. It gave me this information FW Revision V4.080D, sensor type GE3, serial # 262, & mfg date 1049.
    I enabled the sensor and it eventually gave me the error of 58:11, Delta E out of limits.
    Next I re-ran this test and selected "No" and it displayed error 58.4:11
    58 refers to the color sensor and 11 sez clean and re-seat adjust etc.

3) I ran the test with the color sensor disabled and it gave me the firmware code 79:04

The thing that are different this time is when it moved to the middle, 1) it did not ask me if it was in the middle and 2) it actually stopped in the middle
    of the paper.

The customer has been able to get some really nice prints off of it but still has to run the cutter manually. Also it gave them an 87:10 code.
    For this I got some compressed air in a can and cleaned the sensor. He ran a large print that came out really good. No bands or jagged lines.

What do ya think?

Thanks

DR

I wouldn't worry about #1.. the version of the carriage is probably newer than the manual.

#2 sounds like you've got a bad spectrophotometer/color sensor. I had a bad one; you could see it didn't produce the color blue during the test. Being it's a $900 part.. you might consider living without it, unless color is extremely critical. You might find a complete used carriage for less, too. You also want to make sure that the shutter on the color sensor is open during the test. With your carriage position problems, it may not be getting opened.

I actually have a used carriage from a Z3200 that the PCA was bad on, but the spectrocolorsensorthingy should still be good.. if you want it.

#3 79:04... eh. Test probably wasn't programmed correctly.

Did you ever replace the encoder strip?

Kiran

No I have not ordered another encoder yet. I'm hesitant to do so after today. It has to see the encoder otherwise the prints would not look so good, correct?
    I would be interested in that color sensor.
    I will go back and remove the color sensor and clean it and make sure the shutter is working or at least not sticky with ink.

I kinda wish I had just left it alone after cleaning the lint that was stuck on the right hand side of the carriage. But the customer told me I was the first
    to look at this plotter in years. I could see it would've been long before the belt was an issue and the svc station looked bad with lots of ink on it.
    So I thought to do the maintenance before it broke. Opps.

So what about the carriage voltage? It reads 32 volts and the book sez 43.6 to 46.3. Is this not a problem?

Thanks

DR

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    No I have not ordered another encoder yet. I'm hesitant to do so after today. It has to see the encoder otherwise the prints would not look so good, correct?
    Yes, it's reading the encoder strip but you've still got some odd carriage position problem if it's not picking up the cutter correctly. And if it's not picking up the cutter, it may also not be opening the color sensor shutter. Run the test again and watch for the shutter being opened.

Make sure you've run the service station diagnostic test too.

I'll ask about the carriage voltage. It could be correct and the manual is wrong.

Kiran

The manual is apparently wrong. Another Z3200 gives the same result of 32V.

Kiran

Kiran,
    After looking at those pics of the shutter ope and closed, I can't recall seeing it in the open position.
    I need to take it out for cleaning and make sure it opens smoothly.
    And thanks for verifying the 32v for the carriage voltage. I feel better now and will sleep better.

Thanks

DR