Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    HP Color LaserJet MFP M476dw

hello everyone

tray 2 (cassette) single prints, she feeds perfectly every time - multiple pages and it jams 2nd page every time

new feed & sep rollers fitted, everything cleaned, firmware updated, checked paper size (A4) & type (plain) were correct - 2nd page feeds but falls about 1mm short of the registration rollers

interestingly, if i set tray 2 paper size to "any" it prints the first page, then calls "misprint" and goes into cleaning (i assume a timing issue, likely due to paper not making it to the registration rollers on the 2nd page)

the machine has done 43k prints

any ideas?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by aAandy; 11-08-2018 at 02:25 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: HP Color LaserJet MFP M476dw

hello?? anybody?? 79 views while more recent threads have received 200+ views

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Possible fuser, machine does not recognize the 1st page exiting. So, it jams on second page all the time. Basic principles in copying process. If it occurred intermittently, on multiple prints, you would have to go in different direction, but on second print only, that tells you as 1st paper exits, machine does not see it exiting, JAM. Good luck.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

These use those little PacMan rollers (that's what I heard another tech calling them, anyway).

There was a batch of bad ones going around. I think they might have actually been OEM, but I'm not sure. I just know I had a problem machine that I could not fix. Finally, I replaced the PU roller again, and it worked. I took the old roller, and compared it to the new. One was a hair bigger. Actually, I compared the rubber part of the roller. And I know there are a bunch of there out there--the rubber is too thin, making the diameter of the roller too small, making it jam... sometimes every single sheet, sometimes intermittently, sometimes in certain feed situations (like the one you described).

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    These use those little PacMan rollers (that's what I heard another tech calling them, anyway).

There was a batch of bad ones going around. I think they might have actually been OEM, but I'm not sure. I just know I had a problem machine that I could not fix. Finally, I replaced the PU roller again, and it worked. I took the old roller, and compared it to the new. One was a hair bigger. Actually, I compared the rubber part of the roller. And I know there are a bunch of there out there--the rubber is too thin, making the diameter of the roller too small, making it jam... sometimes every single sheet, sometimes intermittently, sometimes in certain feed situations (like the one you described).
    excellent, just what i was looking for - i'll add some tape under the rubber to increase the diameter

that fixed it - added double sided tape under the feed rubber

thank you!
    Last edited by aAandy; 11-15-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

I wonder how many machines got thrown away as "unfixable" when techs had those rollers and didn't realize it. I myself replaced a pick-up motor and a DC controller on a machine because of them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We've got an M276 doing this exact thing. Roller and fuser was replaced and was going to replace the DC controller as well. Think we'll go back and try a different roller. We only use OEM rollers.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I wonder how many machines got thrown away as "unfixable" when techs had those rollers and didn't realize it. I myself replaced a pick-up motor and a DC controller on a machine because of them.
    My experience is that brand new genuine HP pick-up rollers are bad sometimes.

Went back and tried another roller. No change. DC Controller delivered yesterday.

The DC Controller fixed the pick issue I was having on my M276. Sorry for hijacking the thread. Figured it might be useful.