Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

System Error 50-195 on HP Designjet Scanner 4200 and "SM firmware error", etc.

Kiran or anyone regarding system error 50-195 on HP Designjet Scanner 4200:

Hi, I have an HP Designjet Scanner 4200 that I keep getting "SM firmware error" on. Don't know if I need to reinstall software, replace main board, or what. I do not have the recovery software on cd or dvd. But may have to try to get it. I get error 50-195 "stitch write failed". Manual indicates:

1. FW upgrade--don't have.

2. Erasure of parameter blocks. ....I have not been able to do on a 4200; I know how to do on a 4500 in Scanner Maintenance.

3. Replace main board. Trying to get one from a buddy.

4. Run scanner maintenance.

In scanner maintenance, Keep getting "stitching failed", "fatal FW error", etc.

Furthermore, I have communicated this to other techs over the last year plus:
    I have gotten error 50-195 "stitch write failed" under Scantest 6.1? I think. I have never had a software upgrade with which to upgrade the software.

I think: that "possibly" one camera is too far out of adjustment and may need to be manually adjusted. Which is scary for me to try to perform but I may have to do so.

I usually get from startup:
    1. Scanner is unstitched.
    2. Fatal error in FW (Scanner Maintenance), I think that is what it was.
    3. Calibration sheet not recognized as proper sheet for this scanner (It is an older somewhat dog-eared calibration sheet & I tried with a generic? (from Contex, I guess they are all from Contex.) 4500 cal sheet which has worked on another 4200 scanner and got the same message.)
    4. While attempting Auto stitch:
    a. "Error 32" unable to stitch cameras A & B.
    b. Fatal error in FW.
    c. Could not detect ends of horizontal line. Please remove paper and reinsert paper....

Thanks for any insight. All of this is from back in August last year. I have since put it on the back burner.
    Paul

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: System Error 50-195 on HP Designjet Scanner 4200 and "SM firmware error", etc.

Anyone had this error 50-195 (above) on an HP Designjet Scanner 4200 42" Q1280A (Contex Model GC67M) and resolved it?

Thanks,
    Paul

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: System Error 50-195 on HP Designjet Scanner 4200 and "SM firmware error", etc.

Well that's bizarre.. I'm sure I replied to your post when you first made it. Anyway, I suspect the rubber o-ring that they use as a belt on the camera adjustment motor/mechanism has snapped. They dry-rot over time and break. It's a simple o-ring, you can probably find it at your local hardware store.

FoxitReader_2018-11-30_12-56-07.jpg

I guess my post got lost in that DB problem the forum had.

Kiran

I see what had me confused; you posted two different problems with two different scanners... However, I would still check that o-ring. If the system can't stitch the cameras you're not going to get far doing anything else.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kiran, thanks for the o-ring check suggestion for the 50-195 error. I will do that.

I had a guy work on this 4200 scanner. He neglected to screw (tighten) down one or both cameras. That's when problems seemed to start.

I hope I don't need the optical??? (not sure of the name) calibration sheet. That seems a bit pricey.

Thanks.

I hope you don't need the optical pattern thing either. I had to borrow one once from HP. There's almost never a reason to loosen the cameras or fiddle with their positions. Once you do it's a long road to getting them put back correctly.

Kiran