Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Designjet 510, service code 86:01

Customer called me today that his Designjet 510, gives a service code 86:01. According to my information 86:01 means locked up carriage. Usual reasons could be the carriage drive belt but in this case the belt is rather new I recall from my last visit there.

Being rather a noob regarding HP Plotters, I would like to know where to start to look before I go there tomorrow.

Thanks

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 11-26-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

Re: Designjet 510, service code 86:01

check lubrication on the rails and check slop in carrier bearings, check for noises as it goes back and forth, GOOD LUCK

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If it's not the belt, it's likely the encoder strip. Clean it with either water or Simple Green and NOT alcohol or any kind of solvent. If it still gives you a problem, inspect the encoder strip carefully for damage. It's very easy to miss.

What a damaged encoder strip looks like from a Designjet

Kiran

Thanks guys, the Ink Tube Assembly is broken and somehow blocked the movement of the carriage. See attachment. Several questions came up:

- Is it easy to replace that assembly and does it need some kind of priming to let the ink reach the printheads?

- Though the blue latch cannot be closed and is flapping around since the little brown holder came off, the
    print quality is good for the moment. Will that stay for a few days until I get the part or can I expect another problem.
    Since I am not used to work with HP plotters I am not sure about the function of that blue latch and how it should work.

- The carriage seems to have a lot of play on the rail/rod. It can be wiggled on the rail several
    millimeters lateral to its normal left/right travel over the rail. Is that normal or a sign that the carriage or bushings have to be replaced?

Hans

20181127_092720.jpg

The tube assembly is easily replaced, and yes there is a priming procedure, either through the firmware using setup printheads, or using a syringe. If you get a tube assembly from LPS Computer, it comes with the special syringe.

The carriage cover and latch is to keep the printheads in place. I've left printers with a broken latch (because the customer didn't want to pay to replace the tube assembly) and they're still printing just fine. Seems the printheads don't just come out on their own.

Yes, the carriage can be wiggled around. It's normal. I've never once had to replace the carriage bushings, not that you could, they're part of the entire carriage assembly; not a separately order-able part, that I've ever seen. They could be damaged by using the wrong oil, but if it's printing OK, then I wouldn't tempt it. And if someone who didn't know what they were doing attempted to get the carriage out by removing the bushings, they could be reinserted backwards. They should sit flush in the carriage.

Designjet 510, jitter

Chances are though, they're just fine.

The more important bushing is the one at the back of the carriage that often gets broken off when re-installing the carriage. I mention it in the post above too.

Kiran

OK, I'm going there tomorrow to replace the Ink Tube System as well as the Service Station. The machine is extremely important for the customer and he'd rather pay for everything new than experimenting with cleaning and/or repair which would be possible to my opinion, but I'll do what the customer desires.

There are nice videos in YouTube how to do the replacement of the ink tubes and also the service station which appears to be rather easy indeed. I planned to follow those video's. Anything to take care of beyond the mentioned video instructions please?

Machine has only USB. Though normally the Jetdirect card Type 620 is required for the DJ510, the question comes up if a 615n would do too? Or is that a real dumb question?

Thanks

Hans

The 615n would probably work. No harm in trying it. I find where the model card matters, is when the printer has a web interface. If you put a 615n in a 5500, the web interface isn't accessible (if I'm remembering correctly.) But printing to it works fine.

The tube assembly is easy-peasy. So is the service station, but make sure when you slide the service station in, that you get it up on the front and rear ledges it slides in on. If you miss one, the service station will end up tilted and won't do what it's supposed to. Also you have to jiggle it when inserting it before it seats and the two screw holes line up. Those screws do NOT get washers.

Note the service station locks the carriage in place when the printer is idle. You can unlock it by turning the white gear on the side of the service station, or just pull the power cord while the printer initializes and moves the carriage out of the service station.

Kiran

I installed the InkTube system as well as the Service station. Machine is up now since more than one month and everything looks fine. Thanks a lot for your support guys!

Hans

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Congratulations Hans. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    I installed the InkTube system as well as the Service station. Machine is up now since more than one month and everything looks fine. Thanks a lot for your support guys!

Hans
    Congrats!