Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

HP Designjet 4500 q1277a and HD cq654a Scanners – printer connection lost on restart

Kiran or anyone, please help:

I have HP Designjet 4500 (q1277a) and HD (cq654a) Scanners. I have updated the software on each to version 24.1. (Maybe that is the problem—the version 24.1 software update. I don’t know.) Upon restarting the panel PCs I am unable to print to a T1100 and T1120 printer. I have to re-install the printers after a restart of the panel PCs in order to get them to print. They are seemingly ok to print until the next restart of the panel PCs. (I am not sure whether they lose printer connectivity over time.) I get the following error:

“52-7 Unable to write to the device. Please check connection to the storage device or printer.”

And at times I get:

“Runtime error! Program: C:\Program Files\HP\JETimage\JI.EXE

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.”

Please help if at all possible. Thanks very much.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: HP Designjet 4500 q1277a and HD cq654a Scanners – printer connection lost on rest

The HDD might be going up in the panel PC. I've never actually had to work on the panel PC's before, but, they are just a normal PC with a platter HDD.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP Designjet 4500 q1277a and HD cq654a Scanners – printer connection lost on rest

Well, it seems the problem lay in the long printer name I had:

"HP Designjet T1100 44in"

I changed it to just simply (I tried to limit the name to no more than 8 characters as I recall that being the older Windows versions name limit. I think. But XP which I think these use should be able to recognize longer names. I think so anyway.):

"T1100"

All seems OK now...knock on wood, tentatively.

Boy, it's always something. Ha.

....Thanks, Lance15, for your response. They are old hard drives and seem, to me anyway, to crash very often. Maybe that's just the way these systems are. They could probably stand to be replaced. They are probably about 10 years old. They seem to crash every time I install a printer, or maybe they are just restarting to recognize the newly installed printer. I don't really know. I would have to observe that behavior more in order to make a determination as to why they are crashing/restarting right after printer installation. And they seem to crash randomly fairly often compared to other computers. Again maybe it is due to hard drive age deterioration as you seem to indicate.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I'm glad you found a possible solution, because I haven't a clue why that would be happening. The fact you get those errors leads me to think there's something else wrong like a failing hard drive or bad RAM. Try making a bootable Memtest86 CD and check the memory out.

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kiran, thanks for your response.