Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP DesignJet 5500ps Cannot Configure NIC

I want to try a EEPROM setup or backup of the “Main PCA” or HDD but the SM is sort of vague. It seems if I backup the PCA it backs up from the HDD and vice versa. So I am not sure which I should try first or simply follow the EEPROM setup (again very vague and seems to only reset the serial/model#s and something about Japanese fonts). Or rewrite the firmware, but as far as I know this can only be done via computer (which I cannot connect).

Background:
    It had some printhead problems so it was power cycled a few times, which I assume reset the IP (or burned/corrupted something).
    It will not connect to the network and I cannot configure the NIC.
    I can get to the section where it asks me if I want to “Cfg Network” with the option of “no*” so I change it to “yes” and it turn into “yes*” press enter (note the asterisks...¿) and does nothing. Sometimes I can scroll through the options, other times it seems to freeze in that menu, but I can still get to the top menu so it is not a total hard-freeze.

Things I tried:
    Installed another Jetdirect620n (NIC card).
    Tried installing both NICs at the same time each with its own ethernet connect (only 1 seems to work at a time--understandably).
    Tried all 4 combinations with a single NIC installed (2 slots 2 cards).
    DHCP is enabled but I always get 172.17.249.2 IP (which some might recognize from some Konica MFPs) I cannot ping or access the Host address
    Different Ethernet cables (did not have a crossover cable, but I doubt that will help).
    “Cold Reset” the NICs—might try this on a LaserJet5000 later too...

As always, thanks!

Here is the proceedure to config the NIC as a reference:
    Code:
      Configuring TCP/IP on the HP Designjet 5000, 5500, 800, and 500 series printers

NOTE: A delay of approximately 30 seconds may be expected between each step.
    1. From the Front Panel, use the arrow buttons to highlight the printer icon and press ENTER.
    2. Press the Up arrow key until I/O Setup appears. Press ENTER.
    3. Press the Down arrow to Card Setup and press ENTER. Highlight Configuration, and press ENTER.
    4. From the Front Panel message of Cfg Network=No, press ENTER.
    5. Press the Up arrow key to change to Yes. Press ENTER.
    6. Press the Up arrow key until Cfg TCP/IP=No appears. Press ENTER.
    7. Press the Up arrow key to change to Yes. Press ENTER.
    8. Press the Up arrow until BOOTP=Yes appears. Press ENTER.
    9. Press the Up arrow key to change to No. Press ENTER.
    NOTE: If BOOTP=Yes, the printer is configured to retrieve its TCP/IP parameters over the network from a BOOTP, RARP, or DHCP server. If BOOTP=NO, the printer is configured to accept TCP/IP parameters from the Front Panel.
    1. On HP Jetdirect print servers with firmware L.20.04 or greater, press the Up arrow key to until DHCP=yes appears. Press ENTER.
    2. Press the Up arrow key to change to No. Press ENTER.
    3. Press the Up arrow key until IP Byte1=xxx appears.
    4. To change the IP byte, proceed as follows:
      1. Press ENTER.
      2. Press the Up or Down arrow key to change the number.
      3. Press ENTER.
      4. Press the Up arrow key to continue to IP Byte2=xxx.
      5. Press ENTER.
    5. Configure the remaining bytes of the IP address in the same manner.
    6. Configure the subnet mask bytes (SM), syslog server IP address (LG), default gateway (GW), and timeout (TIMEOUT) in the same manner.
    NOTE: When the HP Jetdirect print server is given a syslog server IP address, it can generate syslog messages and send them to that. If no syslog server is on the network, skip this setting.
    1. The TIMEOUT parameter default is 90 seconds. Up to 3,600 seconds can be configured. If set to "0," the timeout feature of the HP Jetdirect print server is disabled -- TCP/IP connections will remain open until closed by the server.
    2. To save this information:
      1. Designjet 5000: Press the BACK button three times, then press the TOP button to save the configuration.
      2. Designjet 500 and 800: Press the BACK button four times and wait until the Ready message is displayed.
      3. Turn the printer off, then turn it on to refresh the new settings.
    To print a Service Configuration page from an HP Designjet 5000 or 5500
    1. From the front control panel message of Ready, highlight the printer icon, then press ENTER.
    2. Go to Utilities menu and select TEST PRINTS.
    3. Press the Down arrow to Service Configuration. Press ENTER.

Re: HP DesignJet 5500ps Cannot Configure NIC

One thing.. make sure you have the proper model of JetDirect card. I think those printers require a 615n or later. It's also very possible to just have a bad NIC, or two. I buy them by the dozen off ebay because they constantly crap out.

The EEROM backup is only if you replace either the hard drive or Main PCA. It serves no other purpose.

There's an option in the IO menu to reset the card; I assume you've done that. At a minimum if it's working and connected to a network with DHCP, it should get an IP address by default. If it's not, I would say you have a bad card.. or two in your case.

Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    One thing.. make sure you have the proper model of JetDirect card. I think those printers require a 615n or later. It's also very possible to just have a bad NIC, or two. I buy them by the dozen off ebay because they constantly crap out.

The EEROM backup is only if you replace either the hard drive or Main PCA. It serves no other purpose.

There's an option in the IO menu to reset the card; I assume you've done that. At a minimum if it's working and connected to a network with DHCP, it should get an IP address by default. If it's not, I would say you have a bad card.. or two in your case.

Kiran
    Well it was working for years...so I am certain I have the right card (jetdirect 620n), I think I have 2 more I can try.
    Yup, I tried reseting the cards.
    DHCP is not pulling a valid IP/Gateway.
    Thanks for the clarification of the EEROM options.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    I want to try a EEPROM setup or backup of the “Main PCA” or HDD but the SM is sort of vague. It seems if I backup the PCA it backs up from the HDD and vice versa. So I am not sure which I should try first or simply follow the EEPROM setup (again very vague and seems to only reset the serial/model#s and something about Japanese fonts). Or rewrite the firmware, but as far as I know this can only be done via computer (which I cannot connect).

Background:
    It had some printhead problems so it was power cycled a few times, which I assume reset the IP (or burned/corrupted something).
    It will not connect to the network and I cannot configure the NIC.
    I can get to the section where it asks me if I want to “Cfg Network” with the option of “no*” so I change it to “yes” and it turn into “yes*” press enter (note the asterisks...¿) and does nothing. Sometimes I can scroll through the options, other times it seems to freeze in that menu, but I can still get to the top menu so it is not a total hard-freeze.

Things I tried:
    Installed another Jetdirect620n (NIC card).
    Tried installing both NICs at the same time each with its own ethernet connect (only 1 seems to work at a time--understandably).
    Tried all 4 combinations with a single NIC installed (2 slots 2 cards).
    DHCP is enabled but I always get 172.17.249.2 IP (which some might recognize from some Konica MFPs) I cannot ping or access the Host address
    Different Ethernet cables (did not have a crossover cable, but I doubt that will help).
    “Cold Reset” the NICs—might try this on a LaserJet5000 later too...

As always, thanks!

Here is the proceedure to config the NIC as a reference:
    Code:
      Configuring TCP/IP on the HP Designjet 5000, 5500, 800, and 500 series printers

NOTE: A delay of approximately 30 seconds may be expected between each step.
    1. From the Front Panel, use the arrow buttons to highlight the printer icon and press ENTER.
    2. Press the Up arrow key until I/O Setup appears. Press ENTER.
    3. Press the Down arrow to Card Setup and press ENTER. Highlight Configuration, and press ENTER.
    4. From the Front Panel message of Cfg Network=No, press ENTER.
    5. Press the Up arrow key to change to Yes. Press ENTER.
    6. Press the Up arrow key until Cfg TCP/IP=No appears. Press ENTER.
    7. Press the Up arrow key to change to Yes. Press ENTER.
    8. Press the Up arrow until BOOTP=Yes appears. Press ENTER.
    9. Press the Up arrow key to change to No. Press ENTER.
    NOTE: If BOOTP=Yes, the printer is configured to retrieve its TCP/IP parameters over the network from a BOOTP, RARP, or DHCP server. If BOOTP=NO, the printer is configured to accept TCP/IP parameters from the Front Panel.
    1. On HP Jetdirect print servers with firmware L.20.04 or greater, press the Up arrow key to until DHCP=yes appears. Press ENTER.
    2. Press the Up arrow key to change to No. Press ENTER.
    3. Press the Up arrow key until IP Byte1=xxx appears.
    4. To change the IP byte, proceed as follows:
      1. Press ENTER.
      2. Press the Up or Down arrow key to change the number.
      3. Press ENTER.
      4. Press the Up arrow key to continue to IP Byte2=xxx.
      5. Press ENTER.
    5. Configure the remaining bytes of the IP address in the same manner.
    6. Configure the subnet mask bytes (SM), syslog server IP address (LG), default gateway (GW), and timeout (TIMEOUT) in the same manner.
    NOTE: When the HP Jetdirect print server is given a syslog server IP address, it can generate syslog messages and send them to that. If no syslog server is on the network, skip this setting.
    1. The TIMEOUT parameter default is 90 seconds. Up to 3,600 seconds can be configured. If set to "0," the timeout feature of the HP Jetdirect print server is disabled -- TCP/IP connections will remain open until closed by the server.
    2. To save this information:
      1. Designjet 5000: Press the BACK button three times, then press the TOP button to save the configuration.
      2. Designjet 500 and 800: Press the BACK button four times and wait until the Ready message is displayed.
      3. Turn the printer off, then turn it on to refresh the new settings.
    To print a Service Configuration page from an HP Designjet 5000 or 5500
    1. From the front control panel message of Ready, highlight the printer icon, then press ENTER.
    2. Go to Utilities menu and select TEST PRINTS.
    3. Press the Down arrow to Service Configuration. Press ENTER.
    do you have lights on the cards?
    what is the IP scheme for that net (assuming not 172....)
    that could be a STATIC IP that was set before ( invalid ip should be 169.xxx.xxx.xxx )
    is the cable good? are you sure the wall port is good?
    have you hooked up a laptop to either?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    do you have lights on the cards?
    what is the IP scheme for that net (assuming not 172....)
    that could be a STATIC IP that was set before ( invalid ip should be 169.xxx.xxx.xxx )
    is the cable good? are you sure the wall port is good?
    have you hooked up a laptop to either?
    Thanks for the reply!

I have it semi-resolved.

It was actually the modem! [never seen that] Having the ISP replace on Wednesday.

When I use a router off-network, DHCP will assign a valid 192.168.0.x IP. So for now I have it connected off-network and have them use a thumb drive to transfer data (not ideal but works).

I finally located the firmware. FYI: you have to dl it from HP but with an assigned operating system of Windows XP (32) to find it.

It has been some years since I have done this--I am almost certain that you need an executable to upload the firmware to the printer, but I lost it when my server took a massive dump....(FW has a .upg file extension) I want to flash the FW because I am still unable to configure the NIC (so I am relegated to DHCP only). Thoughts?

You update the firmware though the web interface on the printer. Put the printer's IP address into your browser, and the update firmware section is in there.

Kiran

You update the firmware though the web interface on the printer. Put the printer's IP address into your browser, and the update firmware section is in there.

Kiran
    Doh! Total misrememberance [ha....ha....]

Anyways, wrote the FW. Still cannot configure the NIC on the machine display side, but I can print the network config from the machine to get the address and go from there on the computer. Not really sure whats up with that but it works.

I assume that I need to run the calibration prints again??

Thanks!

It doesn't hurt. On those printers, it's a good idea to run the color calibration every day.. if color accuracy is important.

Weird that you can't set the NIC through the front panel though.. but I'm glad you got it sorted.

Kiran

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    Doh! Total misrememberance [ha....ha....]

Anyways, wrote the FW. Still cannot configure the NIC on the machine display side, but I can print the network config from the machine to get the address and go from there on the computer. Not really sure whats up with that but it works.

I assume that I need to run the calibration prints again??

Thanks!
    I believe if you have IP - admin acct/pass you SHOULD be able to remote in and change ANY setting (remote = crossover/personal net) then set to customer net.. GTG

do you have the manual for Net Admin?

i

It doesn't hurt. On those printers, it's a good idea to run the color calibration every day.. if color accuracy is important.

Weird that you can't set the NIC through the front panel though.. but I'm glad you got it sorted.

Kiran
    I donno either, but it is not just a slight annoyance. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    I believe if you have IP - admin acct/pass you SHOULD be able to remote in and change ANY setting (remote = crossover/personal net) then set to customer net.. GTG

do you have the manual for Net Admin?

i
    Manual for Net Admin??
    I can login through the local network just fine, but cannot change TCP/IP settings on the machine panel.