Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Designjet T7200 clogged ink line

I was getting ink deprivation in the grey line. I pulled the printhead off and tried to suck ink through, and couldn't. I ordered a new ink line from Parts Here. Two days later Parts here canceled my order, and raised the prices on it. This makes me think PARTS HERE SUCKS. So I ordered it on ebay... and am now in the process of being screwed there as well.

Anyway, I need to get these people up and running, so I pulled the ink lines and brought them into the shop. If I put a lot of pressure on the grey line, I can eventually get the air to flow--backwards, not the direction the ink flows. But I cannot suck--air or ink. All the other lines work fine. So I look at the back, and notice these weird... I don't know what they are or what they're for (pictured below). Only the grey and the magenta lines have them. I'm thinking this is where the bottleneck is, and I'll probably try to bypass it until I can get the new part in. Does anyone know what they accomplish? It looks like some kind of valve. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the bottom two ink lines have them, and the top four don't. Like something to keep gravity from leaking ink from the printhead back to the ink bottle.

IMG_0368.jpg

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Designjet T7200 clogged ink line

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    I was getting ink deprivation in the grey line. I pulled the printhead off and tried to suck ink through, and couldn't. I ordered a new ink line from Parts Here. Two days later Parts here canceled my order, and raised the prices on it. This makes me think PARTS HERE SUCKS. So I ordered it on ebay... and am now in the process of being screwed there as well.
    Anyway, I need to get these people up and running, so I pulled the ink lines and brought them into the shop. If I put a lot of pressure on the grey line, I can eventually get the air to flow--backwards, not the direction the ink flows. But I cannot suck--air or ink. All the other lines work fine. So I look at the back, and notice these weird... I don't know what they are or what they're for (pictured below). Only the grey and the magenta lines have them. I'm thinking this is where the bottleneck is, and I'll probably try to bypass it until I can get the new part in. Does anyone know what they accomplish? It looks like some kind of valve. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the bottom two ink lines have them, and the top four don't. Like something to keep gravity from leaking ink from the printhead back to the ink bottle.

IMG_0368.jpg
    have you tried the "Simple Green" trick? soak paper towel in SG.. put under PH... pull PH squirt SM in there.. reassemble.. wait an hour or so... then try running cleaning cycle.. you should notice improvement with each cleaning
    works on every ink based machine I have tried it on over 150 so far

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

You won't be able to suck ink through those one-way valves on the lower ink cartridges. I don't know what purpose they really serve but.. I know you can't prime the tubes using a syringe either, at least for the colors on that bottom row.

Usually if a printhead is running dry, it's because there is air in the tube. I just had a Z6100 with the same exact problem, and a 5500 before it. Both needed new tube assemblies. If it's one of the upper ink cart colors, you can syringe it and get the air out temporarily, but ultimately you need to replace the tube assembly.

Kiran

I bypassed the valve. I have a one-way valve that I use on address printing machines, and put that in there. I installed the old tubes (I'm only using them until the new tubes arrive). It went through the normal process and it asked for the printheads. I installed the printheads. Again, everything seemed normal as it prepared the print system. Then suddenly, at 25%, I heard a fan kick off. I looked at the control panel, and while I could see the "25% finished", the backlight was out. I waited for a while, and the machine had stopped moving. It just continued to say 25% finished. So I finally turned it off. Now, when I turn it on, I hear one of the quieter fans go on, the light on the power button flashes, but that's all. Something blew one of the boards, and I have no idea which one.

I tried booting into the service menu, but nothing happens. It just won't turn on.

When I look at the formatter, I see the top two led's lit.

This machine is killing me.

That points to the main PCA. How the heck could the main PCA blow in the middle of installing printheads. Although--the trailing cable (which is replaced with the ink lines) plugs into the main PCA.

Just out of curiosity, how old is it?

Maybe try pulling out the OMAS and Main PCA cards from the formatter/motherboard. Also check the hard drive power cord.. I've had those melt and short for unknown reasons. Generally disconnect everything you can and see if anything changes.

I feel your pain. I have a Z6100 that I'd rather set on fire than try and fix one more time.

Kiran

Also check the ends of the trailing cable for bent pins.

Kiran

I'm still trying to get the new ink lines in for this thing. But now I'm starting to wonder... once I get them (if I get them), am I going to need primer printheads... especially for the grey and magenta? I wonder if the ink lines will come with them.

The setup printheads are included with the tube assembly from HP. And LPS includes them with their rebuilt tube assemblies. I can't vouch for other sources.

LPS offers to repair a tube assembly you send them. Designjet Store

A new tube assembly from HP is $1,130.

Going back to your original problem.. I've never heard of a 'clogged' ink tube. Did you find an actual blockage or kink in a tube?

Kiran