Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    DesignJet Z6100ps 42-in - 79:04 while loading media

Plotter boots just fine and comes to READY. Only when trying to load media (roll in my case) will it crash with the 79:04 code.

Things tried:
    - Reloading firmware
    - Cleaned the blue line area
    - Cleaned the encoder strip
    - Oiled the carriage rod pads using the oil in the PM kit (they were bone dry)
    - Removed the printheads, then, installed them once the plotter came to READY
    - Ran the blue line calibration. PASSED
    - Tried running the carriage diag, but, it hasn't been implemented (WTF!? Why have the option if the diag isn't available?)

Plotter history:
    2016 - Replaced the carriage PCA and flex cables for printhead(s) not being detected
    2017 - Replaced the belt
    2018 - Faulty PH found
    2019 (current ticket) - so far had to replace the cutter

Was reading through docs on CSN and came across a document talking about the OMAS sensor. It was talking about 50 errors, image quality issues and paper loading issues.

Has anyone had this issue and solved it? I am thinking either the OMAS sensor needs cleaning (which I didn't think about when I was there) or maybe the Line Sensor? Couldn't run the Line Sensor diag unless media was loaded.

Plotter boots just fine. Go to load paper:

- Open window
    - Lift the blue handle
    - Push paper though
    - Line up with the blue line
    - Close blue handle
    - Close window
    - Carriage goes from service station to middle of the plotter, back to the right, back to the middle, back to the right, back to the middle and then throws the error. So, three times.

Thanks all!

Technician

Re: DesignJet Z6100ps 42-in - 79:04 while loading media

I would clean/replace the advance sensor (omas)

Be careful about oiling the carriage rail. You put oil on the rail, NOT on those pads. You can end up with an excess of ink that will drip down from the left end of the carriage rail and cause the tube assembly latches to fail. So just make sure there isn't a build up of oil on the left end of the carriage rail.

I would suspect the line sensor, then the carriage PCA. The OMAS only comes into play after the edges/width of the paper are detected. I've never seen a bad OMAS.

Kiran

Thanks Kiran. This plotter is getting on the older side. Couldn't even get the cutter from HP anymore (part number obsolete). I'll look at getting the line sensor. I saw that in the list of parts. We'll see about availability.

You put oil on the rail, NOT on those pads
    Hmmmm. Okay. When I've seen those pads on other plotters, they seem to have oil in them. You can put you finger on it and see there is oil in the pad.

I thought the same thing about the pads since they come pre-oiled, but my friend at HP said to never apply oil to them after the fact; just put oil on the carriage rail. On maybe 3 different printers, I was oiling the pads and the rail, and excess oil would drip down on the left end, and soften the plastic where the ISS latch is.. and the ISS would pop free. It's easy to fix with a tie wrap but I realized it was my over zealous oiling that caused it.

I also believe this was due to using LPS Computer's oil they provide. I believe it's just 3-in1 oil and not safe for plastics. So I stopped using it.

Btw LPS does have the cutter for the Z6100.

Kiran

Yeah. That's where I ended up getting the cutter. Now, I can't get the line sensor. Another obsolete part number. LPS doesn't have it. Hell, even eBay doesn't have one!

You might have better luck finding an entire carriage with the line sensor attached. I looked through my stuff but I didn't find one.

Kiran

HP does actually have a "bare" carriage. You have to move over the carriage PCA (not fun!) and the color sensor. This is a non-contract customer that I've worked on this plotter for a few years. When I start seeing "The part number is obsolete" on HP, I'm not going to go way out of my way to help this customer. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!!