Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

hp m451 seemingly recurring magenta on edges

Went in to look at this roughly a month ago with magenta on the edges. Cartridge was almost empty, replaced it & everything was good. Went back a couple days ago with same problem. Cart had 30% left. I cleaned out the waste hopper, & defect was improved but still showed up a little bit. My experience is usually the cart's fault, but, of course the customer never listens to a bloody word you say & always knows better.
    I had to replace the transfer belt quite a while ago for being torn. Do you know of any parts that would cause a particular color to be pulled out ? Would it be worth throwing a bunch of parts at it hoping it will go away ?
    I also don't understand how the pages are counted up on the chip. It always seems erratic. According to the status sheet, it has about the right number of pages to go with yield. But they complain they have to keep replacing them about every month. I've seen what they printout, it doesn't really seem to contain a lot of magenta on the page to go through them that frequently. Of course I'm not there all the time to see everything they do. I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience. thank you

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    hp m451 seemingly recurring magenta on edges

Re: hp m451 seemingly recurring magenta on edges

All of the toner cartridges are used on every print. Regardless of color or not has always been my understanding. Are they using HP carts or aftermarket? And no, you can't REALLY know what they're printing. Only a lying customers word.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lance15 View Post
    All of the toner cartridges are used on every print. Regardless of color or not has always been my understanding. Are they using HP carts or aftermarket? And no, you can't REALLY know what they're printing. Only a lying customers word.
    With M series machines aftermarket toner seems to give me nothing but trouble.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

What I usually do in those cases is clean the machine a little and then say, "Your machine is working as well as it can. If there's a problem with the cartridges, then it's not being caused by the machine. Maybe because they're generic ctgs, or maybe they're just defective. Or maybe they're being stored wrong. But the machine works the way it's supposed to work. And that's all I can really tell you about that."