Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

HP pageWide technologie

We are Ricoh dealers, but we look over the wall to see what happens with our neighbours (everybody needs good one's )
    I think it's a great technology which will make it in the future and push away laser printers to crap:
    55 pages / minute, no fuser units, no drums, developers, laser units, transfer belts, transfer rollers,...
    Just ink...
    I really like this!
    What do you think?
    Will pageWide push away laser printers?
    thanks in advance for your answer.
    Greetings,
    Mark

Re: HP pageWide technologie

If you think about renting them, they're great.If you are thinking of selling them, because of the big competition, the business is bad. Even with the ink there is no business.
    Lasers break down more often, which is good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by TEC DOG View Post
    If you think about renting them, they're great.If you are thinking of selling them, because of the big competition, the business is bad. Even with the ink there is no business.
    Lasers break down more often, which is good for us.
    Exactly my thought too...
    But i wanted to be shure.

Technician

Our company became an authorized dealer within the past year, although we've been servicing HP for as long as I've been with this company. On paper the pagewide sounds too good to be true, lower costs, no heat, HP technology and name recognition, etc. While we only have about a dozen in the field right now, not enough data to form a long-term opinion on their projections. I do remember an HP popping a code right out of the box but can't remember if it was a laser printer or PW. My only problem with them as I understand it is options are not swap-able. The customer orders the engine and options and they are locked into each other at install. So if a finisher or cassette drawer fails the customer is hampered for a while?

HP pageWide technologie

We were Ricoh dealers as well until the Boss had a rush of blood to the head and swapped us to HP.
    And all I can say about Pagewides is they are CRAP!!!!!
    Cost a fortune to run, Boss had to go back to HP 3 times cap in hand to get our buy price on ink down to a reasonable price. Customers don't like them, they find copy quality very poor after having a colour laser. Get lots of complaints about not being able to use a highlighter pen as the ink smears. Also have to use Colourlok paper to make the image look reasonable. The best I heard from a user was that it was very quiet.
    Had lots of problems with the initial manufacturing run with lots of DOA's when unpacked. HP was very slow to acknowledge there were problems and even slower to fix them. Ended up with a shit fight with HP as the Boss tried to claim a awful lot of money back from them for pissing us around and lost sales we suffered.
    We also learnt very quickly not to leave them lying around unused in the Aust. heat as the print heads gum up very quickly and the price of replacement heads make them uneconomic to repair.

The HP lasers aren't much better, poor functionality and big problems trying to run 3rd party software.

Thats my two bobs worth
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    I agree to 100% with Lagonda. Had 2 leaky printheads in 2 month, such a mess!!!! Since then i allways have 2 pairs of OP-gloves in the tool-bag. also is the "SOP" & the programming a piece of crap. If a Ricoh-user has to work with a PW the sh.t really hits the fan. If they use cheap paper, the inside looks like mud after a while. Energy-consumption in standby is higher as a modern Ricoh-device. First copy-speed........
    Change the service-fluid-container, you have often the chance of a no reset, also the ph-wiper-kit often donīt resets the pm-counter. The DF = cheap crap.
    I stop it now, otherwise i get too angry. My colleagues and me we hate them (the laser-machines also!!!!)
    Greetings...

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Nah, I had an existing client with HP Access Control installed as print management software. The client wants to add new machines on their existing 77830 series. The salesman proceeded with selling them pagewide device without consulting. Now we're stuck. The software does not support the device. He should have just sold them 680dn.

The device is still in use, as a shared printer without print solution but the tech keeps coming back to fix problems from the machine.
    HP should have stayed with consumer printer products for ink technology, laser for enterprise.
    Aye! Cut the crap