Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician
    HP 4250 duplex jamming

HP 4250 duplex jamming

I'm looking at 3 x hp 4250 printers at the same place. With not many miles on them, one at 80,000 and the other two at 250,000. There is a problem with duplexing on all 3 of them. They jam in the fuser / duplex area. The curious thing is they all duplex fine through the manual paper input, tray 1, where the paper goes through one at a time, but duplexing from the trays 2 and 3, and they seem to have some kind of timing issue, where the first page gets stuck with the second page, and they jam up in the fuser / duplex area, sometimes under the print cartridge. I've cleaned the solenoid sticking problems, and tried them with different fusers and different duplex units, but nothing changes. They can duplex 300 pages without a problem from tray 1, manual, and pretty much none from elsewhere. I thought maybe it was a driver issue as it was 3 printers, so reinstalled drivers, and printed from a different computer, but the problem remains. Any thoughts?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

Re: HP 4250 duplex jamming

check out the paper feed solenoids they are notorious for becoming gummy and sticking GOOD LUCK

Technician

Do they jam when you duplex running Paper Path Test in Diagnostics?

Technician

Lightbulb Re: HP 4250 duplex jamming

Yep, my first thought was the solenoid. Not fun to get to on all trays. I like to clean the adhesive off the arm and cover the pad on the body with scotch tape. This leaves some cushion and keeps it from being noisy. Also at this age, check the exit levers. They also have foam pads that begin to stick and cause jamming on exit.

while the machine is printing duplexing or not it doesn't need an extra paper thrown into the mix, do you see a blank sheet in there somewhere---- usually under the toner cartridge or on it's way into the fuser. blank! that says solenoid.

by the way the scotch tape is going to have you back there----it'll cut through and magnetize the arm-------- part of the end of a Q-tip stuck onto 2-sided tape works great

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 4250 duplex jamming

I believe there's a known issue if the cassette tab is in the "custom" position the timing gets goofy. The machine will pause a lot and jam during duplex.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    HP 4250 duplex jamming

scotch tape? do techs not carry electrical tape any more?

use on plate and solenoid both .. more cushion

check all xport rollers/shafts for proper lube/cleaning.. if 2 pages get thru check reg clutch.. had it happen many times.. also is rubber roller on shaft shiny? Emory board to rough it up some

agree also on the 'custom' setting

Technician
    HP 4250 duplex jamming

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    scotch tape? do techs not carry electrical tape any more?

use on plate and solenoid both .. more cushion

check all xport rollers/shafts for proper lube/cleaning.. if 2 pages get thru check reg clutch.. had it happen many times.. also is rubber roller on shaft shiny? Emory board to rough it up some

agree also on the 'custom' setting
    thanks for the replies, I might not have got the solenoids right, though I was using electrical tape. There might be a custom switch issue too, I'll go over them again tomorrow.

Technician

Check paper tray size selectors. They crack and can throw off paper size intermittently