Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    HP Phaser 6700 keeps restarting / rebooting. Tried everything

Customer told me her 6700 just started restarting on its own and I can't get it to reset.

Tried doing what is suggested here in other posts: leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes, plugging into another outlet on the other side of the house, it's plugged into the wall, no surge protector.

Machine is 10 years old maybe and she does not want to pay a lot to have Xerox come out for a software install. Is there anything I can do? Can't do a firmware upgrade since it won't boot up all the way before it restarts.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts BaconSteve's Avatar

Re: HP Phaser 6700 keeps restarting / rebooting. Tried everything

It sounds like you’re going to have to do what Xerox calls an ‘altboot’, in other words, reinstall the system software. I THINK on this model the procedure is to create a folder on a thumb drive and name it ALTBOOT. Place the unzipped firmware file in that folder. Insert the usb drive into the machine then turn it on. It should begin the installation automatically. There are some variations on this procedure for various models so if this doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll look up the specifics for the 6700. Also, as a side note, you listed this as an HP, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    It sounds like you’re going to have to do what Xerox calls an ‘altboot’, in other words, reinstall the system software. I THINK on this model the procedure is to create a folder on a thumb drive and name it ALTBOOT. Place the unzipped firmware file in that folder. Insert the usb drive into the machine then turn it on. It should begin the installation automatically. There are some variations on this procedure for various models so if this doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll look up the specifics for the 6700. Also, as a side note, you listed this as an HP, meh.
    Thanks for this. Not sure how to go about this process, can I find this program on the Xerox website? Oh and thanks for the reminder that I mis-typed the brand name!

Np. All you really need is the latest general release firmware rite from Xerox.com. There’s no special app. Just remember to unzip the firmware and place it in a folder named ALTBOOT.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconSteve View Post
    Np. All you really need is the latest general release firmware rite from Xerox.com. There’s no special app. Just remember to unzip the firmware and place it in a folder named ALTBOOT.
    Last question: For the USB stick, can there be other files on it or should it have only one file called ALTBOOT?

That’s a good question, I’ve been asked that by long time service techs as well. My experience has always been that having other files on the thumb drive is fine. It doesn’t matter. The machines are only looking at what’s inside the altboot folder if it senses a thumb drive upon boot. Some machines look for a ‘dwld’ or an ‘upgrade’ folder but I’m about 99% sure that this model needs the ‘altboot’ folder. There are also other files that can be add to the altboot folder but start with just the firmware. If it doesn’t work let me know and I’ll dig up the additional files. I don’t have the file names handy at the moment.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Customer told me her 6700 just started restarting on its own and I can't get it to reset.

Tried doing what is suggested here in other posts: leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes, plugging into another outlet on the other side of the house, it's plugged into the wall, no surge protector.

Machine is 10 years old maybe and she does not want to pay a lot to have Xerox come out for a software install. Is there anything I can do? Can't do a firmware upgrade since it won't boot up all the way before it restarts.
    silly question, but have you tried running the machine up unplugged from the network? i've seen a weird network fault cause a machine to keep rebooting.