Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 250+ Posts

Laserjet 4100TN - Noisy.

Toner has just been changed and now the printer is unusually noisy on startup and when printing. Any ideas as to what's gone wrong?

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    Can you turn it up, I can not hear it from here. What kind of noise? Squeak , click, clack, grind?
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    Can you turn it up, I can not hear it from here. What kind of noise? Squeak , click, clack, grind?
    I'm not very good at describing noises. A friend said the noise is like a squeak or a whistle. It's only there when turning the printer on and printing.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Laserjet 4100TN - Noisy.

Laserjet 4100TN - Noisy.

When you put the other cartridge back in, does the problem go away? You may have a defective cartridge.

Noises are the most difficult to troubleshoot, but squeaks and whistles are usually cartridge related, while thumps are p/u areas and fuser areas and grinding comes from gears and fuser areas. Try a known good cartridge from another machine not making the noise.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

If the noise started when you put in the 'New' toner cartridge, I would say it is the toner cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by kuby View Post
    If the noise started when you put in the 'New' toner cartridge, I would say it is the toner cartridge.
    Ok. So is it bad for the machine to use the cartridge (if it is the problem) or can I get away with continuing to use the cartridge?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Laserjet 4100TN - Noisy.

Laserjet 4100TN - Noisy.

Ok. So is it bad for the machine to use the cartridge (if it is the problem) or can I get away with continuing to use the cartridge?
    Squeaking is coming from the PC drum in the cartridge, which means something is scraping it. Eventually you will probably have image problems, if you dont already. If its a new cartridge its defective (can even happen on an OEM cartridge). You should have a warranty. Return it and get a good one.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".