Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP 5500 - Smearing 11 x 17 only

sorry I had a problem with updating my email address for this forum and was able to get on but couldn't post.

Anyway, I thought the printer was a 5500 because thats what the test page samples he brought me said. When I talked to him he kept calling it a 5550. Apparently someone (different company) had replaced the formatter on this machine with a 5500 formatter.

Secondly, another tech said he had this same problem and said he had to pay for HP's tech support to find out after going to Tier 3 that the problem was the fuser drive motor asm (gears and motor at the top like the 4600's have). He said he replaced it and it fixed the problem. So I suggested that he change the formatter to the correct one (likely to cause other problems-don't know what bonehead did that) and if the problem didn't go away to change the fuser drive motor asm.

I will try to post an update as to whether that fixed the problem. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Tech finally brought it in so I could look at it (he didn't want to listen to me about the fuser drive asm). Turned out to be fuser drive asm (includes the motor). It's the correct formatter by the way. I had 2 techs telling me 2 different stories. It's ok, cause I charged them for the repair.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    Do the belt speed adjustment. I've seen it and I'm pretty sure that's what I did to fix it.

**edit**
    sorry, I thought you were talking about an HC 5500.
    Last edited by RRodgers; 11-11-2009 at 05:12 AM.