Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    ColorLJ2840 "replace supplies) (black)--already changed

Thumbs up ColorLJ2840 "replace supplies) (black)--already changed

Customer called with "replace supplies" message referring to black cartridge on CLJ2840. Customer says it was very recently changed and that it is OEM. Any help is appreciated. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Without going out to see for yourself you won't get an accurate picture. I have seen OEM cartridges be bad right out of the box. Not frequently, but it can happen. The customer may have put it in wrong or got it out of alignment (a common problem with these machines that can cause fading or blank pages). Damaged the e-reader or some other dumb thing.

Go out and see the machine. Try to print or view the event log, write down what you see. If there is an error code, write the complete code not just the phrase after the code. Reseat cartridges (all of them not just black). Try a known good cartridge. This is a carousel machine so I'm sorry they are all a piece of junk.

When you come back post what you've tried and what you saw, then we can help you. A good technician uses his senses as his best tool. 90% of the time what the end-user says is inaccurate or incomplete. Sometimes they are right, but you may get out there and its a totally different problem.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I agree with prntrfxr. I don't think that customers consciously lie most of the time, but they definitely don't give you the complete picture, and half the information will be completely inaccurate or at least exaggerated. Use your own senses and don't trust others observations as completely accurate, even other techs.

When I was helping out with trouble accounts the worst mistake that I made was to ask the tech in that area what the problem was. I was usually steered down the same wrong road as the person I was trying to help. It's more useful to focus on symptoms, and for the moment forget what others have done or theorized. When you've got a good picture of what's going on for yourself, then find out what's been done.

For example, your "recently replaced" cartridge could have printed 5000 pages @ 1% fill, or 50 pages @ 95% fill. Chances are that it's just empty.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Thumbs up

I installed an OEM cartridge and machine is okay. Other cartridge appeared to be OEM but obviously had a problem. Told customer to return other cartridge for a replacement or refund. Thanks for your advice. Frank