Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts Solotime's Avatar

HP 4000 Jamming Problem

OK guys....I ran into this same problem years ago and never found a solution (customer did not want to fix the printer). It is with an HP 4000 that feeds paper just fine, however at times it seems to try and feed again after the sheet has already started into the printer. Now this causes no issue during a print job, but after the print job finishes it results in an extra sheet sometimes being fed into the printer that stops about half way thru the fuser. There will be no jam indicated UNTIL the next print job starts. Then it will indicate a paper jam. Does this intermittenly but I have watched it and seen this numerous times today.
    This is only when using tray 2. The front fold out tray out "tray1" works fine with no issues at all.
    The printer has all new feed rollers and I have done the torque limter "mod" to reduce the separation torque.
    Any ideas?

Philomena Livia

re

just reinstall the driver for the printer, and that should work... for some reason I had the same problem, but it was after I moved the computer to another room. I think sometimes the computer looses information somehow, or it resets itself. I think if you run the driver again, it will work. Make sure it is your default printer as well.

Thanks for the reply but it is not a driver issue. It does this routinely in the paper path test mode or even just printing the config page from the operation panel.

Technician
    Check the paper pick-up solenoid; it may be sticking, allowing the pick-up rollers to keep rotating. I've had a few do that. Just remove the foam pad (which is probably disintegrating), clean off the adhesive with alcohol and replace it with a piece of electrical tape.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    HP 4000 Jamming Problem

I have had similar issues with a dirty reg sensor. Best way to get to it is pull out the cassette and peel off the plastic mylar covering it. You can almost use a blower brush on it after that.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Mattchall called it. The Tray 2 feed solenoid was the problem. The foam pad had gone bad and was causing the solenoid to stick and feed an extra sheet or 2.

Technician
    Hey! I'm not as dumb as I look after all! Glad it worked for you.