Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Question HP4345 13.03 & 13.20 jams

Can anyone advise on the following problem on an HP4345?

When copying from either cassette the paper feeds out of the fuser and up into the switchback and jams. The paper is concertina'd up out of the fuser as it is being driven with no where to go. Also there is no image on the sheet. There is also a further sheet fed out of the cassette when only one copy has been asked for. The HP shows a 13.03 jam, once the sheet is removed from the r/h side it then displays the 13.20 jam. If the manual feed is used the machine works fine!
    We have had 3 machines with this problem and have been unable to repair them. We have replaced all the boards and formatter. We have replaced 2 machines and now have the same symptoms on a 3rd. There is no help from HP apart from 'replace all the boards'!

Has anyone else come across this fault?

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    Hmmm... I think I would have tried a NVRAM init or a firmware upgrade before swapping boards. I would troubleshoot the drive/feed areas of the cassettes first, because it seems to be a timing issue where the machine is detecting a late jam and is trying to eject the page and just confusing itself. See this about how this model is different:

HP LaserJet 4345 Multifunction Printer series- HP LaserJet 4345mfp - Explanation of 13.20 Paper Jam Messages - c00287427 - HP Business Support Center

I also did see people on other forums having sucess replacing cassettes or torque limiters in the cassettes. Good luck.
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)

Technician
    Thanks for the reply. We did try firmware first, sorry i forgot to mention that. Thanks for the info. If i come up with an answer i will post it on here. I think it may be an issue with media length detection, but cannot see in the manual how this different when using the bypass tray.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I had a M4345 that was jamming kind of like this as well. Mine would only jam when coming from tray 5 and running through the duplexer. The one I worked on ended up being a timing issue.

There is a paper feed assem behind the tray 1 with a clutch on it. It was slipping there but not enough to cause a jam till it took the longest path. I have ran into this on hp 4000 and 4050 as well. Where the printer would jam with paper half way out of the fuser. The paper never actually jammed, but b/c the next page never made it to the sensor at this feed assem in time it would shut the printer down with a jam.

I would check this feed assem. I went through the same process as you with my jam. Replaced formatter, rollers, fuser, etc. once I replaced the assem behind tray 1 worked like a charm.

hope this helps

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP4345 13.03 & 13.20 jams

HP4345 13.03 & 13.20 jams

I haven't worked on one of these in a while, so bear with me, but the paper feed asm is like the 42xx series machines. Be careful not to lose the sensor flag with the torsion spring and pay attention how it goes so that when you remove it to put it on the new one you can put it back. The manual is crappy about how it goes. The new one will not have the flag. It's a pain the first time you do it, but once you figure it out you'll never have a problem in the future.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    +1 on above. I had that sensor come out the first one I did and it was pain as I did not see how it came out or was suppose to go in. The manual is horrible for it. Just warns you (which I read after the fact, my fault) I finally figured it out and after the first one the rest are a breeze if they manage to come out.

Just pay close attention to it. This flag if the spring gets loose and does not have enough tension will throw false jam error codes.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts d7guitar's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: HP4345 13.03 & 13.20 jams

There are feed solenoids for trays 2,3,4 and 5. These solenoids have a noise deadening foam strip attached where the arm contacts the body. These foams will degrade over time and the adhesive will come through the foam and hold the feed solenoid open. This typically results in getting an extra sheet when you only asked for one. Just remove the foam and all adhesive . You may have a weak spring too, now that its been sticking and held open. A couple loops taken off the spring usually works just fine.
    hope that helps?
    After all is said and done, More is said than done.

Re: HP4345 13.03 & 13.20 jams

I seen the above just last week and posted on it. Was annoying trying to figure out why it would pull extra paper...once I cleaned that L lever on the solenoid of that pad it work like a champ.
    "In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some entertainment out of it."

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Wild Bill's Avatar

D7guitar is correct the extra page you have is an even more of an indication the solenoid is the problem but both at the same time?
    I would definetly look at the solenoids tho.
    Izzy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oldslap View Post
    Can anyone advise on the following problem on an HP4345?

When copying from either cassette the paper feeds out of the fuser and up into the switchback and jams. The paper is concertina'd up out of the fuser as it is being driven with no where to go. Also there is no image on the sheet. There is also a further sheet fed out of the cassette when only one copy has been asked for. The HP shows a 13.03 jam, once the sheet is removed from the r/h side it then displays the 13.20 jam. If the manual feed is used the machine works fine!
    We have had 3 machines with this problem and have been unable to repair them. We have replaced all the boards and formatter. We have replaced 2 machines and now have the same symptoms on a 3rd. There is no help from HP apart from 'replace all the boards'!

Has anyone else come across this fault?

I just found this tutorial on google on the HP4200 but it should be in the same family group.