Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: P4015/P4515

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Smile P4015/P4515

Hi, have sombody passesd an hp exam HP3-C03 already?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    P4015/P4515

P4015/P4515

Ive been a tech for many years. I would say my knowledge of HP is better than any other machine I've worked on. I have a basic HP certification, that I got a long time ago. I have multiple certifications and have even gone to another state to attend training classes. With the exception of the latter, I don't believe I've learned anything I could not have learned on my own with a service manual.

In my opinion, certifications mean you can read the service manual and locate information in it. It does NOT mean you are a technician. So I have not had this certification you're talking about and I will never get it unless it's required by an employer or someone is willing to pay everything.

Did this answer your question?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Ive been a tech for many years. I would say my knowledge of HP is better than any other machine I've worked on. I have a basic HP certification, that I got a long time ago. I have multiple certifications and have even gone to another state to attend training classes. With the exception of the latter, I don't believe I've learned anything I could not have learned on my own with a service manual.

In my opinion, certifications mean you can read the service manual and locate information in it. It does NOT mean you are a technician. So I have not had this certification you're talking about and I will never get it unless it's required by an employer or someone is willing to pay everything.

Did this answer your question?
    Ditto

To be able to take a test you have to work at a ASP.
    To be a ASP you have to sell major (at least for my area) numbers of HP's.
    In my town to sell a product you have to be able to do warranty repairs (this is just the way the customers think and they won't change).
    To be able to do warranty you have to be a ASP.
    Catch-22

Rob S

Technician
    Since March 2009 when HP changed to the extortion method of retaining ASPs there have been very few people doing warranty work anymore. They cut my ASP and wouldn't go geographic exception so I told them so-long on being a reseller last month as well. Why retain reseller status plus have to pay $120 to some 3rd party to insure "compliance" that Hp wants to get maybe a dozen warranty repairs a year, at a lowered reimbursement rate and a lot more work to actually file the claim - and deal with the lousy parts system they have evolved into. Too many times I've placed a warranty order with the part showing in stock to find it backorder-best-effort-to-fill as soon as the order was sent. Then *I* am the bad guy with the owner of the item since I looked first and told them the part was available then tell them it's backorder - and it stays backordered for an indeterminate time since they never give an estimated fill date. Better just to have people call now, tell them we are no longer an ASP but can repair at-cost, have them call HP and get the "upgrade for xxx dollars or ship to depot and wait" then call back and have me fix with readily available parts (usually cheaper than HP's pricing) and fix the problem out of warranty. I've replaced gobs of LJ 42xx and 43xx swingplates and the total parts and labor end up less than HP's list for the swingplate - and the swingplates I'm buying are the same Chinese parts that HP has. $15 for a swingplate and an hour on the bench and the machine is back to normal and the customer is happy. I keep 2 swingplates on hand all the time but if warranty or service note repair I have to wait till HP sends the parts after I spend time in their stupid system filing a claim. In the time it takes to file the claim I could have the machine stripped down and be in the process on replacing the part and getting ready to put it back together.

I became an ASP back in 2000 when it was nice being an ASP. Things started going downhill when HP took the consumer Pavilion line away from us and gave them to ASP Plus's which were just big box retailers that bought a lot to resell. They have no requirement to have certified techs working for them or tech IDs tied to their location/OID. They hire through 3rd party middleman platforms like Onforce, Field Solutions, ServiceLive, Field Nation, etc and get the cheapest labor they can find. If the thing has problems other than was CSO thought it was by phone then they blame the tech, not the system.

I'm glad I'm done with them. I won't pay $10 to take a test to say I have the skills to repair their junk and make them look good with the customers either. Must be starting to hit HP finally as I had a person from HP ASP support call offering former ASPs a "deal" to use the old CSN parts ordering system for non-warranty orders for a $250 a year fee to get 25% off parts. Well guess what - they are reducing the availability of parts on lines they have stopped producing so the parts aren't as available and to get $250 back in discounts I'd have to buy a LOT of parts from them. Why do that when HP list is so jacked up that 25% off (without even considering the $250 fee) makes the parts still too high compared to other sources. Why buy a $450 motherboard for a laptop I can get from a salvager for $100 ? Why buy a $90 swingplate that is about $70 with discount when I can get the same item for $15 ? Absolutely no way to get a return on investment sending them $250 each year for the "privelege" of helping them move parts that have slowed to a crawl now that they've screwed all the former ASPs. I guess they think they are Sam's Club now.

I used to take 10 service certs a day back when it was open and free. When the $10 thing came along I only took ones I thought had some chance of being worthwhile. I took the APS business pc/laptop for $25 because I was an independent field tech for Pomeroy and made decent money doing so. Since Pomeroy screwed the independents and went to lousy W2's I haven't really done anything with that APS cert, maybe a laptop or two. Nope I'm no longer putting money into HP/Compaq - why should I sell their new items when I wouldn't want one in my own office?

Doubt it will happen but maybe the numbers will show HP corporate what a major screwup they did since they merged with Compaq. Someone keeps telling their stockholders that things are good but eventually they won't be able to manipulate the numbers to make it look that good and they will have to rework or step back to what worked, and worked well.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    RHBlakeman

Ditto.

Rob S