Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Any answers well come

I joined this site so i could share information with other engineers and maybe get help with some products that i am not sure about but to date i have not been give any?Was looking to know im i doing anything wrong?Im a engineer for 20yrs i was laided off last May and every since i have been working for myself.I have worked on Mita,Ricoh,Sharp,Canon and Konica machines

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    I do not know what you have ask, but I do not get responses to all of my questions.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Any answers well come

Any answers well come

I'm not going to answer a post if I:

a) Don't understand what you're talking about
    b) Have had no prior experience with the problem
    c) Have never seen the machine and don' t have a service manual
    d) Am not absolutely sure that I'm giving you a good answer or don't have an answer

No one knows everything, you know. Hope this helps you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Any answers well come

I have to agree with the other two on this one.

You may have not done anything wrong, but you might be asking a question that no one knows the answer to.

If I have a loko at a post and don't know what the fix for the problem is, I don't post anything so as not to lead someone in the wrong direction.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    The issue is most likely that you have 20 years and consider yourself an engineer. No offense, but if you ask questions like you already know the answer, than you should either ask for an opinion or ask the question in a way that leaves room for someone to give logical answers. Trust me, I work with people who cloud their vision with their experience and expertise. It makes it very hard to help these people because they already have a formed answer/solution in their mind before they ask for assistance. If you already know everything, than you will never need to know anything new. ;-)
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)

OMD-227
    Quote Originally Posted by CanonHPTech View Post
    The issue is most likely that you have 20 years and consider yourself an engineer. No offense, but if you ask questions like you already know the answer, than you should either ask for an opinion or ask the question in a way that leaves room for someone to give logical answers. Trust me, I work with people who cloud their vision with their experience and expertise. It makes it very hard to help these people because they already have a formed answer/solution in their mind before they ask for assistance. If you already know everything, than you will never need to know anything new. ;-)

OUCH!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Any answers well come

Any answers well come

We provide free tech support for technicians who call with question at my company (whether they work for us or not). Handling some of these questions is part of my job. So I understand where CanonHPTech is coming from. The feeling you get when you solve a problem can make some people feel so good that it goes to their head. It really does affect every tech, but some get it under control while others never seem to learn. I just let them be because eventually when they've tried it their way and banged their head against the wall, what you tell them will finally sink in and they'll try it. I've crashed and burned enough to know that the second you think you know everything is the second you end up eating pavement. I don't know if it is rankinoffice's problem, but if it is I hope he learns that no one knows everything and no one has seen everything. I don't care how long you've been doing this for a living, you should always listen to others. I've had newbie techs I was training teach me things I didn't know. Additionally, it is nearly impossible (without a video) to see the machine problem on this forum. You can only go by what the tech has described and what he "says" he's done. If the description is wrong, not explained well, he has held back detailed info, or he has lied about what he has done, that makes a solution nearly impossible to provide. This could be rankinoffice's problem.

For prompt answers:
    Tell us model and make of the machine with extra letters (as sometimes this makes it different in some cases. Example: HP 9000 or HP 9000mfp), describe the problem completely, and then, list everything (no matter how dumb) that you've tried. Be patient, and if there is no post in a couple of days simply post, "So I guess no one has seen this problem?" If they still don't reply, let it go. Fussing about it won't get you a answer any faster and you just tend to get people hot under the collar (see posts above). Then they will remember you and may not answer if they know the answer next time you post. Read your post out loud before you submit it and clear up errors. If it doesn't sound clear to someone it might be misunderstood. Finally make sure your post is in the correct forum. If you post a Canon question in a Ricoh forum, you're not likely to get an answer. The same if you put a rants and raves type post in a technical forum.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 12-22-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: CLARIFICATION
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar
    You ask for help on inkjet printers and get no answer...stop whining!
    Most independents avoid these because there is no money in it and are more trouble then they are worth.