Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Hp 500 printer

Hp 500 printer

Being a copier guy am familiar with the counter reset chips and fuses I have a cust with 3 hp 500 printers and would like to know how to reset the transfer belt count on these units. Thank you in advance for your help. jprecht
    IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN QUIET AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL
    THAN TO SPEAK AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    I hope you mean a LaserJet 5000 or ColorLaserJet 5000... a LaserJet 500 is one of the original LaserJet about 20 years old and no parts are available for it. I would be amazed to see anyone running these since toner was discontinued a few years ago. Otherwise a DesignJet, DeskJet or OfficeJet 500 would not take a transfer belt. Please clarify.
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)

hp 4500/4550color

My apologies for this model# error. my cust has both the 4500 and 5000 hp printers. I don't service these as he is a do it yourself cust. I would like to know if there is a t-belt reset available(alot of copiers use a picofuse.) Thanx 4 responding when it is obvious I had the model #'s wrong
    thank you
    J Precht

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Only the 4500 of the two models you have listed above runs a transfer kit.
    it's an odd unit as it has a gear driven use meter built into the belt unit, I believe you can reset the transfer count via the service menu, but without actually replacing the belt unit I'm not sure that will clear the replace message.

to enter the service menu..hold down the cancel job and bottom most of the keys on the left which i believe is labeled "select". when all three of the light go solid you can release...and then use the "menu" key (top button) to the right one time to get to the service menu...you will still have to wait for it to go through it's complete calibration cycle not only after you power it up...but when you leave the service mode as well...so plan on standing around a bit

The only supplies message that will make the unit come to a dead stop is the replace DRUM message, which cannot be bypassed.
    If the transfer kit appears to be in good shape and the customer is to cheap to replace it, your best off telling them to ignore it until they actually replace the belt.

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    Wow... 4500's are like driving your Ford Pinto around the block six times just to stop and buy a used toilet bowl cleaner... good luck man. Most of the time to get even copies that are in color out of these beasts you have to swap the Drum and Transfer Kits. I also seem to remember a mechanical life sensor for the Transfer Belt? It was a spring loaded sensor flag? I know if it was messed up you would get a life message also. I believe that there are a few non-OEM brands out there that rebuild them but they are not too much cheaper than OEM. Here's a link for resets... HP Maintenance Message Reset Methods - fixyourownprinter.com Good luck.
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    If they have a 5500 series color unit 5500/5550 LJ...then the transfer belt life can be reset through the configuration level of the menu...reset supplies..replace transfer belt.

Caution here. these belts DO break down, recently there was a shortage of them available to suppliers for replacement and several of my customers reset the code to get by, both of them ended up with print quality due to cracks and tears on the belt within 2 months.
    A really bad tear could end up scratching the 4 drums which are built into the toner carts...at a bit over $1000 for a set of OEMS to replace it can be costly.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Lol about the 4500 being a pinto...they ARE old.. but all in all, when maintained properly a good machine. SLOW by todays standards yes...but there is more metal in these units that in most of todays cars.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Hp 500 printer

It is possible to reset the counters on the 4500. I do them all the time, but you got to have lots of patience as it requires messing with the tiny gears in the counter mechanism. Even then you have to reset the counter in the printer service menu.

Side Story:
    My boss bought a tractor truckload (a "good deal") of these printers from someone once (8 pallets stacked 5 high). The people who sold them to us did not remove the cartridges, nor did they put cardboard between each level. They looked like Skittles candy (when I blew them out I could "taste the rainbow" as well). When I opened them and those on the bottom were very damaged due to the weight. I got the joy of stripping half for parts and trying to rebuilding the remainder that were not DBARed. Needless to say it took several months to finish and I told my boss if he ever bought any more, I'd go work somewhere else. I am pretty familiar with them though, so I guess you could say there is a good side to this story.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

HP 4500 printer transfer belt reset

Thanx to ALL who responded appreciate the info!
    jprecht