Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

hp 8000 too old??

I have an HP 8000, 11 years old with over 600K on it. It is a billable account. What is the life expectancy of these units? Should I recomend upgrade?
    I am a ricoh tech and have very limited experience on HPs.
    Thanks for any info in advance.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The machine was made to do that many prints every couple of months. Parts are still available. Easy to work on. In my area, I keep them going. Part of the base payroll used to be printed on 3 of these, 17,500 pages every 2 weeks. Ran for years like that.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks for the feed back. I got blindsided with this one on Friday. Never worked on one before in my life. It is constant jamming from the 2000 sheet cassett at the feed sep roller before it gets to the vertical transport. I put new rollers in but it is still having the same problem. I ordered the vertical feed assembly and the pickup assembly. I hope I'm on the right track. What do you think? That whole unit looks like someone got rough with it, but the customer said no one else has ever worked on it.

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar
    The most common repair I did to this was the paper input assembly. The symptom would be jamming from tray 3 , so the customer would have tray 3 popped open with a do not use note on it. The input assembly is everything to do with paper feed from tray 2 and 3. It is all built with all new rollers and clutches. I can't remember the number but you can find it as "paper input assembly". If see does not see this post and respond, you should ask "prntrfxr". She is an HP person.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    hp 8000 too old??

fixthecopier is right on the mark. These printers are cheap to operate and last forever. I've seen some of these with 5M and more prints. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    hp 8000 too old??

HP 8000 too old?

One of the last great printers HP sold. Has Canon WX engine, is an upgrade for 5SI, and is also sold as Lexmark Optra N. They are workhorses. I've seen over 3,000,000 pages on one and I rebuilt it and we used it for a test printer for the next 3 years before replacing it. I rebuild a lot of PIU's (every other week for over 7 years). I hold the bragging rights on this part where I work.

Change the torque limiter (RB1-6588) in tray 4 p/u asm for that problem or you can lay out the money and replace the entire p/u asm. VTU's (vertical transfer unit) go bad in these and cause jams with the paper going vertical or stopping at the roller closest to the hinge.

One thing you need to know about that is that just because the machine is and 8000, doesn't mean the tray 4 feeder is. It could be a 5SI unit or an 8100 unit. If you ever order a VTU you need to know what unit you have, a 5SI VTU will not work on an 8100 feeder and a 8100 VTU will not work on a 5SI feeder. 95% of VTU returns are due to clients ordering the wrong one. The 5SI VTU has 1 purple cable, the 8100 has 2 cables (one white and one multi-colored) and the 2X500 VTU has 3 connectors with no cables.

The most common reasons for the main printer PIU replacement is worn 2nd pass roller, defective 2nd pass clutch, defective torque limiters, end-user has slammed the trays and broken the frame, or spring pin failure/breakage. Symptoms are Z-fold, jamming at 2nd pass, multi-feeding, or lift failure.

Printer PIU: RG5-1852
    Tray 4 PIU: RG5-3843
    VTU (8000/8100): RG5-3854
    VTU (5SI/WX): RG5-2175

PM me if you're interested in more info.
    Hope this helps you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    600K? That's a baby. Gotta lotta life left in unless either someone spills something on it or the frame becomes twisted. Sounds like your on the right path. If you end up swapping the PIU for the main unit, makes sure you hang on to the defective one it if you can and learn how to rebuild them. Doing the Second Pass Roller on that will save your customer or you if its under contract a boat load of money and make you feel proud. That was one of the coolest repairs that made me want to dig deeper into the subassembly world of copier repair. Boy, I am a geek. Feel free to post with any troubles. Alot of peeps on here have seen more of these machines than their own kids. Good luck. Let us know what takes care of it.
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Sorry for the delay in posting the outcome I'm still waiting for the customer to call me back with a time that I can get in their office. I've called several times they just keep putting me off. I guess it isn't a priority to them.
    I will let you know the outcome when I know what it is.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I want to thank everyone for the input that was provided. The customer finally called me back. I replaced the Paper feed unit and the transport unit. All is well the customer is happy and my company is happy. Thank You again..

Technician
    old is gold