Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

HP P4015 - not feeding from tray 2

Have a P4015 not pulling from tray 2. Working fine from tray 1 (bypass). Solenoid is good, replaced CD controller PCA, no change. Put meter on pins for solenoid and tested, not voltage when it is suppose to be firing.
    Anyone had this problem?

Thanks

====================

Must be the power supply, no 5v at all.
    Last edited by kuby; 01-25-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

p4015

It will be mechanical before it is electronic. Yes it can be the solenoid, but either you haven't listed everything you've tried or you haven't tried this:

When you look into the tray from the rear, does the paper get lifted to the p/u roller at least? If it's not lifting, p/u will not occur. Do the rollers attempt to rotate or does it go straight to an error code? What error code are you getting? When you print a configuration page, what size paper does the printer say it has in tray 2? Is that the same size that is in the tray? Is there another one at customer site and can you trade out the paper trays to see if that is the problem? If the printer thinks it has A4 paper when it has letter size in tray 2 and you try to print a letter size test page it will tell you to load letter in tray 1. No attempt to pick-up paper will be made. If you get a paper jam error, you may have an obstruction, sensor flag problem, or sensor defect.

I hope this helps you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Tested solenoid with a 9v battery, good. Paper lifts in the tray, it says it has 8 1/2 x 11 in the tray. No attempt to paper feed, there is no 5v pesent coming off the power supply. 24v and 3v are there. Put a meter on the pins for solenoid, not voltage when it is suppose to be.

P4015

OK...The 5vdc should be coming out of the DC Controller. What comes from the power supply is 3.3vdc, 24 vdc, and, of course, the AC voltage to the fuser. The DC controller has a 5v generation circuit. See the attached pages and see if that helps you narrow down your problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Have a P4015 not pulling from tray 2. Working fine from tray 1 (bypass). Solenoid is good, replaced CD controller PCA, no change. Put meter on pins for solenoid and tested, not voltage when it is suppose to be firing. Replaced power supply, no change. Did firmware updates, no change. Did reset, no change.
    And now it is printing black unreadable pages. Have read other posts about techs having the same problem. Anyone found the problem short of replacing the machine. Found out if you take it out of "Quiet Mode" it will print from tray 2.
    Thanks

Will it print an engine test with the formatter removed? The engine test switch is on the right side in the middle of the right cover. If it prints the engine test with the formatter removed, it may be a formatter issue. They've had problems with the formatter on those machines. Why quiet mode would have anything to do with it is a mystery to me, but that is something that is done by the formatter and that is why I'm suggesting the engine test. Unfortunately there isn't much info on them as they are a relatively new model. You've got something weird going on that thing. Black pages usually happen when it there is a problem with the HVPS > Contacts > Cartridge. It may be as simple as the cartridge not being seated properly.

Technician
    The problem is the fuser. Replace the fuser and upgrade to the latest firmware in order to prevent future problems like this. Good luck!

Technician
    NOT the fuser. It's simply firmware. I just did a P4014 with the same problem. When I replaced the solenoid and DC controller and still no voltage on the tray 2 solenoid pins I had to scratch my head and wonder. Read a story in the Service Edge from Liberty Parts Team about the certain machines and firmware - never thought of it since most printers until lately have had firmware DIMMs. Looked at the DC controller and it has a processor chip on it so I thought that's odd. When I went to the firmware the specs for the firmware showed a firmware update included for the DC controller. Weird... Updated and it ran perfect after it went to ready and I power cycled the machine (doesnt tell you to power cycle, I'm just used to doing that from years of laptop and PC BIOS upgrades). So the thought came to me - was it actually the DC controller getting firmware? Put the original back in, back to the original problem. The DC controller actually does recieve it's own firmware separate of other parts. So I ran the firmware again with the original DCC in the machine and same result - fixed. It's been running at the customer with the original DCC now for 3 weeks without a hitch. If, after you upgrade the firmware, you get a 50.9 error for fuser overtemp then you need to replace the fuser after checking all connections on the DCC and fuser.

Friday a P4015 came in from another client - doing the same. Installed the DCC I had bought for the 4014 that had upgraded firmware and the problem went away. Put the old DCC back in, problem returned. Ran firmware upgrade with original DCC and it's ran for the last 3 days now. I ran 250 sheets test continuously to get the unit hot and check long sequence running with the side cover open. Never failed to fire the solenoid even once.

So the moral is - do firmware upgrade first if the machine has firmware available, then start throwing parts at the machine.

Technician
    I've now had 4 of these with the run on problem, all have been firmware only. Had one come back with a 50.9, replaced the heater strip and it's working fine. All others have been happy since the FW update , no parts needed. Tell you what though rebuild of those P40xx fusers are a pain - mix of different styles. Looks like a LJ 4350 fuser at first but it has leaves under the spring like some of the smaller fusers, only one wire on the clip lead on the gear side and two harnesses to couplers on back, and more. It has a metal sleeve but it has a pink coating like the color lasers have rather than grey or olive like the 4250/4350.