Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

LaserJet 3005N Jamming intermittently

Got a LaserJet 3005 intermittent jam, when it does act up it prints a couple pages and then usually on the 3rd sheet it jams with 3/4 of the page almost out the face down exit. The trail end of the page has exited the fuser. I checked the face down roller for binding. DId not find a problem with it.

I removed the fuser and inspected it. I found it turned fairly easy. But the plastic bushing appeared to be worn and looked like gear marks on the sleave or pressure roller. Also the last page is usually blank. I wasn't sure if it was a timing issue or a sticky sensor. Any body seen this?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

P3005

First print or view the event log and find out the exact jam code. The problem could be a sensor or it could be that it is not reaching a particular sensor at the right time. The fuser may be causing this, debris in the path, or worn rollers. There is another possibility, however.

I assume you're speaking of a P3005n. These printers have known issues with the formatter boards. Symptoms are: intermittent locking up, not recognizing network, jams, not coming to ready, & etc. This may not be your problem, but because of how common this problem is, I would definitely consider it. Additional note: These printers cannot work on a network without installed memory, so if you change the formatter, try to hang on to the memory. Some vendors send out boards with memory and some do not.

Some techs have put the formatter in a 350 degree oven, but I think that is a band-aid not an actual legitimate fix.

Q7848-61004 is the number for the formatter. The company I work for sells these. PM me if you're interested in more info. Any vendor who sells HP is likely to have them (make sure they have a warranty as even new OEM boards that HP has supposedly fixed have failed out of the box).
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    prntrfxr

This is out of respect.
    I have baked 3 P2015 formatters, and 10 J615n cards. All are still working. The 2 of the P2015n cards over a year now. Most of the Jetdirect card for the same amount of time. I thought the same thing when I first read this at :

Laserjet P2015 displays Paper jam and Toner lights - fixyourownprinter.com

but I had nothing to loose the boards did not work and were out of warranty.
    The formula is a preheated oven at 350 degrees f for 8 mins.
    Prntrfxr Please if you can find the time read though the link above.
    This does work. I respect anyone who has the patience to repair that many CLR 4500 printers without drugs.
    Let me know what you think.

Rob S

No problem, Rob. I work for a vendor and I could never sell boards that had been baked. For me it's a question of ethics and we guarantee our stuff. Repair/rebuild techs have correct soldering equipment to fix the problem and field techs don't. However, if I was still a field tech who wanted to save money, I would probably give the oven thing a try. We've read the article and mention to our customers what other techs in the field are doing, but we can't make any promises that it will work in every case. So if you want to do that and it works for you, good. By saying it was "not a legitimate fix" before, it may have been a bad choice of words. As for fixyourownprinter's article, I did read it and posted questions about the oven thing a long time ago, so I am familiar with it. I apologize if I offended anyone.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    No offence taken.
    As a vendor with the proper equipment I envy you.
    It is clear you are a tech with much experience both with customers and machines.

When I use this fix I inform the customer of what I am doing and why. Since it costs less than a new board or a new printer they go for it.
    Being on honest with the customer is always best. After all I am not a Salesman.

Rob S

laserjet P3005n

Being on honest with the customer is always best. After all I am not a Salesman
    I agree, being honest actually will get you more business in the long run. Lies, when found out, only create distrust between you and the client, something no one wants. That, my friend, is the difference between customer service and sales. It is something that a lot of salesmen never learn. So thank God, we're techs and not in sales.

As a vendor with the proper equipment I envy you. It is clear you are a tech with much experience both with customers and machines.
    I started in the field and ended up an in-house supervisor (been in sales too, but hated it ). I don't always have proper equipment but we're working on that. This company is by far the best I've worked for and the longest in this field, too many shysters in this industry. I quit other companies in the past due to unethical policies. I won't say this company is perfect, but at least they try to be honest.

rdavisalan, please post if this helped you and if it resolved your problem.

Technician
    The 3005 issue turned out to be the seperation pad. I never would have guessed it. A worn seperation pad was allowing a second sheet of paper to get past the registration sensor witch explains the blank page as the last jammed print.

But I have another issue with a 3005 I am getting a 13.20.00 rear bin jam , I was sent out on this one when a tech before me was dispatched to it for some noise. He removed the fuser and installed it and this error code appeared. The customer was really pissed because at least they could use it before. I am not sure if it was something he did or just coincidence. Everything looked ok. Need help on this one.