Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ 9500 MFP - Won't start - stuck on "HP invent screen"

It is possible for the problem to be caused by network card, firmware, or formatter. Rule of thumb is remove all IO devices (network card and/or hard drive) then see if the problem goes away. After that you can upgrade the firmware or replace the firmware DIMM (sometimes the DIMM is bad and therefore upgrading may not work). If may also be formatter or both the firmware and the formatter. Be careful when speaking to your vendor when ordering. Make sure that you tell them if you have an mfp machine (stress that they verify it) or they could send you the wrong DIMM. Example: Q7725-68000 is the part number for firmware for the 9040/9050 base machine, but Q7725-67997 is the part number for the firmware for the 9040/9050mfp machine. They are NOT interchangeable. It's the same with the formatter.
    Last edited by prntrfxr; 06-09-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: grammatical
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Thanks for all the help, I will try the firmware update next. How does one upgrade the firmware. I don't have a service manual on this thing and haven't been able to find one online anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ 9500 MFP - Won't start - stuck on "HP invent screen"

HP then click on support & drivers . Click the little circle that says Download Drivers and Software next to it. In the box that says for product enter CM9500 (if you enter color laserjet 9500mfp it wont show anything but cartridges. I guess you could spell out multifunction printer, but I found it easier to enter what I did as CM stands for color multifunction.) Then choose the correct printer from the list that is displayed. Next select the operating system. Select Firmware in the next screen and it will take you to the bottom of the page. It will say the following:

"HP Color LaserJet 9500mfp Firmware for Single/Multiple Printers - Windows Operating Systems (Must Read README Before Installing)"

Click on these words FIRST. It will bring you to another screen with instructions and click the README tab. Click the back button back to the screen that displayed the description above and click download. Once it's downloaded, READ the README file thoroughly first and follow the instructions EXACTLY.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    HP then click on support & drivers . Click the little circle that says Download Drivers and Software next to it. In the box that says for product enter CM9500 (if you enter color laserjet 9500mfp it wont show anything but cartridges. I guess you could spell out multifunction printer, but I found it easier to enter what I did as CM stands for color multifunction.) Then choose the correct printer from the list that is displayed. Next select the operating system. Select Firmware in the next screen and it will take you to the bottom of the page. It will say the following:

"HP Color LaserJet 9500mfp Firmware for Single/Multiple Printers - Windows Operating Systems (Must Read README Before Installing)"

Click on these words FIRST. It will bring you to another screen with instructions and click the README tab. Click the back button back to the screen that displayed the description above and click download. Once it's downloaded, READ the README file thoroughly first and follow the instructions EXACTLY.
    Thank you very much sir..I greatly appreciate it.

One more question, how do I disconnect tray 4 from the main machine. I've looked all over google, the users guide and the service manual and can't find any installation instructions for it. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ucinn View Post
    One more question, how do I disconnect tray 4 from the main machine. I've looked all over google, the users guide and the service manual and can't find any installation instructions for it. Thanks again
    nevermind, I finally found it.

New problem.I do not have the ip addy of this machine nor the name of the printer. I can't get to the config page to lok anything up. Is there a way to do the firmware somehow without a printer name or ip addy?

Hi there

On one of the workstations (this is assuming xp as the operating system).

Click on start.
    Click on printers and faxes
    Right click on the driver icon for the printer.
    Click on the port tab.
    Look at the colum under the port label.
    To see the full IP address you will need to click and hold on the vertical bar to the right of the port label.

Depending how the network is setup you should now see the IP address.

Rob S

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sandberg View Post
    Hi there

On one of the workstations (this is assuming xp as the operating system).

Click on start.
    Click on printers and faxes
    Right click on the driver icon for the printer.
    Click on the port tab.
    Look at the colum under the port label.
    To see the full IP address you will need to click and hold on the vertical bar to the right of the port label.

Depending how the network is setup you should now see the IP address.

Rob S
    They did not have this hooked up as a printer, they were only using it for copy so it wasn't set up on their network. that's the big dilemma.. our shop crew set it up but don't know what IP addy they used to test it out as a printer..so that's my problem is there is no way to find the ip without the config page that I can find or a way to reload the firmware without the ip or printer name.

First "if" I remember right the printer has to be in a ready state to update firmware.
    What you have is a case of blooming logo.
    What I have found as a fix is this.
    Remove any hard drives in the printer.
    Remove and optiion boards and memory.
    Perform a cold reset.
    If the problem is still there order a formatter and a firmware dimm (I can not tell if the firmware is part of the formatter or not.
    Remove the formatter and all dimms, re-install.
    If it does not boot at all then one of them is the dimm, it will look different than memory.

Hope this helps.

Rob S