Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sandberg View Post
    First "if" I remember right the printer has to be in a ready state to update firmware.
    What you have is a case of blooming logo.
    What I have found as a fix is this.
    Remove any hard drives in the printer.
    Remove and optiion boards and memory.
    Perform a cold reset.
    If the problem is still there order a formatter and a firmware dimm (I can not tell if the firmware is part of the formatter or not.
    Remove the formatter and all dimms, re-install.
    If it does not boot at all then one of them is the dimm, it will look different than memory.

Hope this helps.

Rob S
    OK, I have replaced the formatter with a known good one and it didn't help at all. I haven't done a cold restart.... do you have the directions on how to do that.. I will definitely try that. I have just the machine now, no accessories at all. Even removed it from tray 4... it's very heavy...lol The formatter did fix another m9050 that we had that was dead, so the formatter board went to good use anyway Thank you for all your help.. it is really appreciated.

Hi There

I hope this works this time.

Straight from the service manual.

Rob S
    Cold reset
    The cold reset clears all data from the printer memory and returns all of the defaults to the factory
    settings.
    CAUTION Performing a cold reset resets the Jetdirect print server configuration. To avoid making changes to
    your network configuration, remove the HP Jetdirect print server before performing a cold reset.
    Note If possible, print a configuration page and menu map before performing a cold reset. This documents
    the current settings for later reference.
    To perform a cold reset
    1 Turn off the printer, and then turn the printer on again.
    2 Press and hold during the memory count.
    3 Continue to hold until all three control panel lights illuminate steadily, and then release .
    4 When SELECT LANGUAGE appears on the control panel, press .
    5 COLD RESET appears.
    6 Press while COLD RESET appears on the control panel. The cold reset is complete.
    To skip disk
    Use the skip disk function to turn on the printer without recognizing the hard disk. This is useful for
    troubleshooting hard disk problems without having to remove the hard disk.
    3 Continue to hold until all three control panel lights illuminate steadily, and then release .
    4 Press , and then press PAUSE/RESUME.
    5 When SKIP DISK LOAD appears on the control panel, press .
    6 The printer starts without recognizing the hard disk.
    To skip calibration
    3 Press , and then press PAUSE/RESUME.
    4 Scroll to SKIP CALIBRATION, and then press .
    5 The printer starts without calibrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sandberg View Post
    Hi There

I hope this works this time.

Straight from the service manual.

Rob S
    Cold reset
    The cold reset clears all data from the printer memory and returns all of the defaults to the factory
    settings.
    CAUTION Performing a cold reset resets the Jetdirect print server configuration. To avoid making changes to
    your network configuration, remove the HP Jetdirect print server before performing a cold reset.
    Note If possible, print a configuration page and menu map before performing a cold reset. This documents
    the current settings for later reference.
    To perform a cold reset
    4 When SELECT LANGUAGE appears on the control panel, press .
    5 COLD RESET appears.
    6 Press while COLD RESET appears on the control panel. The cold reset is complete.
    To skip disk
    Use the skip disk function to turn on the printer without recognizing the hard disk. This is useful for
    troubleshooting hard disk problems without having to remove the hard disk.
    4 Press , and then press PAUSE/RESUME.
    5 When SKIP DISK LOAD appears on the control panel, press .
    6 The printer starts without recognizing the hard disk.
    To skip calibration
    3 Press , and then press PAUSE/RESUME.
    4 Scroll to SKIP CALIBRATION, and then press .
    5 The printer starts without calibrating.
    Thanks again.. I'll try every button since step 2 doesn't tell you what button to press and hold...lol I'm assuming the start button. Thanks for everything.

It won't let me get into the cold reset screen no matter what button I hold down.... I give.. I have replaced the whole formatter board with the compact flash, ram, Hard drive with a known good one, still no help.. this thing is Fubarred

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ 9500 MFP - Won't start - stuck on "HP invent screen"

Did you replace the firmware DIMM? You may have a bad DIMM. If so, updating it isn't going to fix the problem. Additionally, I've seen this problem resolved in other machines by replacing formatter and firmware DIMM. So it might be both.

Rob, copied and pasted and the graphics didn't go with it. For step 2 & 3 it is check button, for step 4 down arrow, & for step 6 check button. Skip disk and skip calibration are different buttons.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ 9500 MFP - Won't start - stuck on "HP invent screen"

Did you replace the firmware DIMM? You may have a bad DIMM. If so, updating it isn't going to fix the problem. Additionally, I've seen this problem resolved in other machines by replacing formatter and firmware DIMM. So it might be both.

Rob, copied and pasted and the graphics didn't go with it. For step 2 & 3 it is check button, for step 4 down arrow, & for step 6 check button. Skip disk and skip calibration are different buttons.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post

if the firmware dimm is on the formatter board, then yes, if it is somewhere else, then no.

Yes, I did, it's on the formatter, it's the compact flash card.

One thing i noticed is that my 3 lights on the control panel flash differently than the working one. Is there something there that might tell me what's wrong by the pattern that those three flash?

Sorry about the graphics not making it in the paste.

Rob s