Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ 9500 MFP - Won't start - stuck on "HP invent screen"

Did you make sure that the formatter was the one for the printer? If the printer is a 9500mfp and you put the formatter for the 9500 base machine it will not work and vice versa. Also make sure the connection between the DC controller and the formatter is not damaged or disconnected. Don't connect it to the network while you're doing testing. You could try to do a NVRAM init. That worked for another tech with this problem (different printer but it cleared it). Sometimes printers get locked up due to fluctuations/interruptions/corrupted data during transmission of data on the network. I hate to do it because it erases all the information, but you can't access the information anyway so you might as well try it. (For this reason, I always insisted on clients keeping a copy of the configuration page in a file and I kept one in their file as well, when I was a field tech.)

Remove the jet direct card before performing the following:

From Service Manual:

"Initializing NVRAM will reset the serial number, the event log, the page counts, the calibration settings,
    and the EIO card. Use the Service menu to restore the serial number and page counts. You will also
    need to reconfigure any computers that print to this printer to recognize the printer. Initialize NVRAM
    only when absolutely necessary. In most situations, use a Cold reset to reset printer variables but still
    retain the needed values in the service menu.

1. Turn the printer on and watch the display
    2. When the display begins showing the memory count, press and hold (down arrow) until all three lights on
    the control panel are lit.
    3. Press (up arrow)
    4. Press PAUSE/RESUME. The display should show SKIP DISK LOAD.
    5. Press (up arrow) until NVRAM INIT is highlighted.
    6. Press (check button). The printer will initialize NVRAM and then continue its power-on sequence."

Hope this helps you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    Did you make sure that the formatter was the one for the printer? If the printer is a 9500mfp and you put the formatter for the 9500 base machine it will not work and vice versa. Also make sure the connection between the DC controller and the formatter is not damaged or disconnected. Don't connect it to the network while you're doing testing. You could try to do a NVRAM init. That worked for another tech with this problem (different printer but it cleared it). Sometimes printers get locked up due to fluctuations/interruptions/corrupted data during transmission of data on the network. I hate to do it because it erases all the information, but you can't access the information anyway so you might as well try it. (For this reason, I always insisted on clients keeping a copy of the configuration page in a file and I kept one in their file as well, when I was a field tech.)

Remove the jet direct card before performing the following:

From Service Manual:

"Initializing NVRAM will reset the serial number, the event log, the page counts, the calibration settings,
    and the EIO card. Use the Service menu to restore the serial number and page counts. You will also
    need to reconfigure any computers that print to this printer to recognize the printer. Initialize NVRAM
    only when absolutely necessary. In most situations, use a Cold reset to reset printer variables but still
    retain the needed values in the service menu.

1. Turn the printer on and watch the display
    2. When the display begins showing the memory count, press and hold (down arrow) until all three lights on
    the control panel are lit.
    3. Press (up arrow)
    4. Press PAUSE/RESUME. The display should show SKIP DISK LOAD.
    5. Press (up arrow) until NVRAM INIT is highlighted.
    6. Press (check button). The printer will initialize NVRAM and then continue its power-on sequence."

Hope this helps you.
    Thanks for everybody's help.. this is on an M9050MFP... after working on it most of the day yesterday, I found that the PIU board was putting a load on the machine and causing it to hang up. I found this by disconnecting plugs 1 at a time from the DC controller. New PIU board on order and hopefully that will take care of it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP CLJ 9500 MFP - Won't start - stuck on "HP invent screen"

I hope that works for you, ucinn.

The NVRAM init. procedure is similar, but different for the 9050mfp because you don't use the arrow keys. So if you ever need it in the future. Here it is:

"The model number, the serial number, the usage data, and the error event log information is retained
    when performing a disk initialization.
    1 Turn off the printer.
    2 Press and hold down arrow (the 9 button on MFPs).
    3 Turn on the printer.
    4 Release down arrow (the 9 button on MFPs).
    5 Press up arrow (the 3 button on MFPs).
    6 Press PAUSE/RESUME (START on MFPs).
    7 Use down arrow (the 9 button on MFPs) or up arrow (the 3 button on MFPs) to scroll to the appropriate
    selection (NVRAM INIT or SKIP DISK).
    Note Other functions are available in this menu, but are not applicable.
    8 Press check button (the 6 button on MFPs).
    The printer boot sequence is complete when READY appears on the control-panel display.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

Quote Originally Posted by prntrfxr View Post
    I hope that works for you, ucinn.

The NVRAM init. procedure is similar, but different for the 9050mfp because you don't use the arrow keys. So if you ever need it in the future. Here it is:

"The model number, the serial number, the usage data, and the error event log information is retained
    when performing a disk initialization.
    1 Turn off the printer.
    2 Press and hold down arrow (the 9 button on MFPs).
    3 Turn on the printer.
    4 Release down arrow (the 9 button on MFPs).
    5 Press up arrow (the 3 button on MFPs).
    6 Press PAUSE/RESUME (START on MFPs).
    7 Use down arrow (the 9 button on MFPs) or up arrow (the 3 button on MFPs) to scroll to the appropriate
    selection (NVRAM INIT or SKIP DISK).
    Note Other functions are available in this menu, but are not applicable.
    8 Press check button (the 6 button on MFPs).
    The printer boot sequence is complete when READY appears on the control-panel display.
    thank you, that is great information. I will keep that handy.. I'm sure I'll need it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ucinn View Post
    thank you, that is great information. I will keep that handy.. I'm sure I'll need it at some point.
    Well, the PIU board didn't do it. HP has us trying the power supply next. It's on backorder until the 22nd. I now have an M4345MFP doing the same exact thing now. These hp mfp's suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ucinn View Post
    Well, the PIU board didn't do it. HP has us trying the power supply next. It's on backorder until the 22nd. I now have an M4345MFP doing the same exact thing now. These hp mfp's suck.
    The 4345 ended up being the engine power supply.... it's done.

the M9050 ended up being the DC controller.