Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    rmacmaho

HP CLJ 9500 MFP - Won't start - stuck on "HP invent screen"

I have a Hp 9500 MFP that won't start / boot.

It does the 512 mb memory test ok but then the HP invent screen keeps scrolling around.

Ready, Data and Attention LED's flash around in sequence. Red light on sorter is flashing.

I have tried disconnecting sorter, removed network card etc but no change when I restart.

When I talk direct to printer - I can get to network card but it shows device is not present?

Any suggestions?

I am not a tech but if I needed to get in their with screw drive I will give it a go.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

My first guess would have been network card, but you ruled that out. Does the printer have a Hard Drive? If it does, power the machine down, remove it, and power it back up. If it comes up the hard drive will need to be reinitialized or it may be defective and need replacing. If it isn't that, the only 2 things you're left with are the formatter and firmware. Call a tech when you get to this point. The wrong firmware can make a huge problem and some configuration needs to be done when you replace formatters.

On a side point, these machines are real sensitive to power fluctuations. They require more power than a smaller machine. Make sure you plug it directly into the outlet not a surge protector. Try plugging it into a different outlet on a different circuit breaker.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

rmacmaho
    Unfortunately still have the problem. Disconnected network card and hard drive but problem is still there. Tried a Cold reset - it seemed to do it but still can't get past hp invent screen?

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    I had similar problem on a different model, never booted no error codes. Turned out to be the firmware card needed replaced.

Can you pull out the system board and reseat all the memory and firmward card? I think its on the lower left and only 2 screws and the whole thing pulls out.

rmacmaho
    Thanks - I actually removed the 8 screws and removed the board. Pulled out the cf card and put back and also the memory module and reseated. Still not luck. Is it possible to re reflash the cf card outside of the machine (ie on my pc etc). Is this a standard CF card i can replace or do I need to buy a HP one?

rmacmaho
    Called tech and now Gone backwards even further!

Just paid for tech to come out - lovely guy and yes he did seem to know what he was doing - tried all that I had in the past. He also tried swapping flash card out of my 9050 (black and white printer) as it had identical product number - 9500mfp did not display anything this this flash card. When he put original back in the machine now comes up with eeprom not found error. He also had a NVRam error I believe when he was here.

he thinks it is formatter board but who can know for sure.

So in short $80 to go backwards.

Formatter boards seem to be about $1000 of around $650 for repaired exchange version. No guarantee this will fix it either really. so I think the only option is use it as parts (supplies mainly) for a 9500HDN I have or sell on eBay as not working.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    WOW!! I think I'd try a new firmware for under $200 before going straight for the $1000 formatter.
    Here is one for $97. This one is only $76.

I'd hate to see you waste more money, but I've seen firmware fix things more than a formatter board.

There is a new version of firmware for the CLJ 9500mfpjust released 08.160.8 (19 Feb 2010). One of the things the new firmware fixes is locking up (unresponsive) when scanning. Did it happen like this..you were scanning and it locked up? and now it won't boot?
    Try calling HP support or an online chat. I've been told by some of my customers HP has sent them free, new firmware. It just depends on who you get and what model/problem the firmware is for, but if there is a "recall" for it in their database they will definitely send it to you free.

Good luck!

I have actually had the same exact problem on a 9050 mfp and it was the formatter.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Any rersults yet.. I have the same thing on an M9050 with the addition of a dark screen. it goes through the bootup until it gets to 6/6 and stops after the B gets highlighted on the screen. it stops there and won't go any further. I tried disconnecting the sorter and ADF.... tried plugging directly into the wall...still nothing. Replaced the formatter and still nothing. How do I do a firmware upgrade on this thing.. help!!!!

Try a new dimm or firmware chip on the formatter