Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavisalan@gmail.com View Post
    You could have updated the firmware and saved yourself alot of time, buddy.
    You must be talking to becandcall - no way firmware was getting updated on mine without the model being properly set and until EEROM was cleared the machine was locked up in the startup. Only way to do it is to clear EEROM, install either a good ISS or electronics unit that is loaded from a machine with the same model number and tell it that the opposite was installed so it backs up the temp unit's EEROM to the normal unit of the machine. Mine was done and all is well and the new owner is chugging along with it fine.

Technician
    Thanks for your oh so helpful post however we had already updated the firmware, buddy.

Technician

Not that difficult.

Dude, trust me the first thing you should have done was update the firmware. I am very familiar with all Hp plotters, and any wide format machine out there. A chimp can fix it.

Technician
    Really? How long have you been doing these (not that long if you still use the term dude- just kidding). You do realize that some machines are burned on chip right? Have you come across a hung/locked 500 or 800 model Designjet? It will let you get to the service menu and you can get a connection in firmware emergency load but it won't take it. If chimps could fix them why does HP require in residence (instructor led) courses for service qualification for new models? Yes it is prudent to attempt firmware update if possible - and if available - but it's not a cure-all. One thing good you bring up is firmware and that when servicing someone's machine that you check for the current firmware version, see if there is a downoadable firmware for it, and if time permits update the firmware. I do so on all printers it allows it on and BIOS on all laptops and PCs that have newer versions.

By the way I believe BECandCALL is a female (if I remember correctly from private messages) so dude isnt really prudent or applicable. We get the point that you've been able to correct problems with firmware but I guarantee the problem that was brought up here even stumps the HP engineers.
    Last edited by RHBlakeman; 09-24-2010 at 05:14 AM.

Technician
    Ha, thanks for the backup RH. Yes, it is "dudette" here :-)

FYI - I sold the plotter as is with all our communications printed out for the buyer. He works with HP so I'm hoping he got it up and going. If I find out the fix, I'll definitely post.

Cheers,
    bec

Technician
    If the buyer needs an ISS with the correct model loaded I have one.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavisalan@gmail.com View Post
    Dude, trust me the first thing you should have done was update the firmware. I am very familiar with all Hp plotters, and any wide format machine out there. A chimp can fix it.
    Dude, with comments like these, you aren't going to get much "trust" in you, Trust me.

Technician
    Here's someone that actually knows what a PITA this problem is and that firmware on a lockup just won't do it - he was the one that I was able to send a spare ISS to for reload with the proper model number and get the one I had working. DT&G knows his stuff and has a tech there that really knows Designjets inside and out.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Need someone with a C7780C Designjet 800PS to load an ISS for me

Hey Russ how ya doing? Whatcha doing around my neck of the woods? Slumming?

Technician
    Been hitting here on and off a few years, no time to be regular on it (yet).