Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HP Deskjet 842C

Technician

HP Deskjet 842C

Got a HP deskjet 842c that the power and paper tray lights are flashing. I don't have a manual for this machine. Know where I can get one or what the problem may be? When first picked up the machine the printer cartridge wouldn't move. Now it moves but the lights started flashing.

Thanks,

Dallas

Technician
    I checked the tech support web site and the possible solutions they give did not help in any way.

Service Manager 100+ Posts CanonHPTech's Avatar
    Sorry, to report, but the time has passed where picking one of these up out of the trash or at a yardsale for a dollar makes sense. I finally got rid of my old 600 for a cheap HP OfficeJet for $70 which also scans. If your able to get the carriage to move on power up, pull the plug before it goes home and pull the cartridges and see what happens without the cartridges. Outside of this, you can try lubing the carriage rail and checking/cleaning encoder strip. Make sure that with the power off that you can move the carriage all the way from right to left without any obstruction or binding. If when you turn it on the service station does not move then you you will probally need a new one. If you after you check all of that stuff and still no where and believe it is a board issue, then go dumpster diving or check ebay for a junk machine and swap boards. I have done this before succesfully about 10 years ago and my parents still use it today. However, I've already told them if lubing the rail, cleaning the encoder or swapping the cartridges doesn't fix it, they are looking for a new one. Let us know what you find.
    The glass maybe half full, but less is more...
    Printer + Fax + Copier = Jack Of Many Trades,
    but Master Of None
    Color Copier = Not A Color Printer
    InkJet MFP = Not A Fax Machine
    B/W Copier = Not A Press
    Finisher = Deal Closer (salesman, not accessory)
    Copier Tech = Admin's Stress Ball (Scapegoat)