Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HP LJ 3500

hornpout

HP LJ 3500

An HP 3500 recently landed on my bench. When turned on it goes through its system check and displays an error that the magenta toner cartridge needs to be installed. There was a magenta cartridge in at the time. I have tried replacing it with a new one out of the box and cleaning any contact surfaces I could find to no avail.

I am not sure if this is related to the issue or a totally separate issue but I have noticed when you close the front door on the printer, as the cartridge tray slides into place and the flaps on the cartridges are opened, the magenta one only appears to open about half way. Not sure if this is related to it not sensing the cartridge is present or not.

I am not a printer tech by trade but apparently working on computers means that I should be to some people so please forgive my ignorance if I have used the wrong terms or just don't make a lot of sense and thank you very much for any help/advice you may be able to offer.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    HP LJ 3500

This may have something to do with a similar problem on the HP CLJ3600 printer.

prntrfxr: Is the K6640 kit from TSA World applicable here? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    HP LJ 3500

No the 6640 kit is for the 3600/3800 printers. I have a Service Note for these machines and I've attached it to this post. Hope this helps you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Coke in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!".

hornpout
    Thank you very much for the responses. I will go through the service notes today and see where that leads me.

hornpout
    the document you posted was exactly what i needed, thank you again. i have a left arm drum lock that is being fussy. it comes up like its supposed when the door opens but when you close the door the arm comes down before the nob from the toner cartridge is actually in position to be locked in. i can reach in and lift it up so it seats correctly and that solves the problem like a charm. Going to take a look now at why its closing early.